Warning: When checking operator:When binding input interface

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Warning: When checking operator:When binding input interface

Post by abc123 »

When checking operator: When binding input interface field "Col1" to field "Col1": Implicit conversion from source type "string[max=5]" to result type "string[2]": Possible truncation of variable length string.

I searched this forum and pretty much looked at all posts. None of them provides a solution. I have a Teradata Enterprise stage going to a transformer where I am seeing the error. Nowhere in these stages is the max defined as 5. In both cases, it is 2 and of exact same data type/nullability. I looked at the Edit Column Meta Data window on the output tab of the transformer. There is no place to specify max width.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you can figure out how to shoehorn a five-character string into a two-character string, then there may be a solution.

DataStage is warning you that your input might have more characters than can fit into the output string.

Take a closer look at the error message - from which stage (operator) is it actually being generated?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

Ray, thank you for your response. It is being generated from the transformer stage. I can't find a place where I can specify max width. I am sure Datastage is reading it from somewhere but I can't think of
a place. I did Edit Row and went to Edit Column Meta Data window. I also right clicked and added additional Properties. Can you tell me where Datastage is reading this value from? Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please post the generated OSH, or at least the record schemas from it.

Without that it's impossible to tell, lacking a copy of your job design.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

I did a search on the generated OSH. Nowhere do I see a max of 5. I would think that the number 5 would appear somewhere on the generated OSH, right?
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

What? string[max=5] means the field is defined as a VARCHAR (5)!
string[2] means it is defined as CHAR (2). What does the actual Teradata DDL say the field in question is defined as?
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

In the input and output to the transformer, the column is defined as char(2). It is NOT a Teradata column but a derived column in a SQL. This column was defined as char(5) before. The only thing I can think of is that this is a carry over from the previous definition.

Ray, I don't see any record schemas in the generated OSH. Where should I look for records schemas?
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

If the input link to the Transformer where the warning is coming from is from a Teradata stage then your CHAR (2) is being overriden by the Teradata table definition being accessed by the job from Teradata. Can you confirm that the source table or SQL that contains this column name is NOT defined as a VARCHAR(5)?
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

The problem was in the Teradata Enterprise stage right before. One of the columns was a derived column with several CASE statements. In one condition, there was no length specification which was causing the problem. I would consider this a bug with Datastage as the error has nothing to do with the transformer stage but that's where the error is shown in the log.