Lookup Fileset

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sgpatil
Participant

Lookup Fileset

Post by sgpatil »

Hi

one of my job is creating 4 Lookup file set in target and these file set they are referencing in next job

Needs the answer for below questions

1. can we give target file set suffix with .ds instead of .fs ( in my project they have given .ds as suffix for Lookup file set
2. how can I view the contents of target lookup file set

any body will give the proper answer for above queries

thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

1. You can name the file however you wish with any ending.
2. No, lookup filesets cannot be viewed.
senthilt1
Participant

Post by senthilt1 »

Hi ArndW,

Small doubt...sorry for jumping in

If lookup file set can be created even with .fs or .ds suffix then what is the diff btw the two files. I know that .ds is the operating system file, so .fs also the operating system file?

Thanks,

Senthil P
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I can create a Windows ".exe" file from notepad, or save my Word document with an ".reg" extension; so why shouldn't I be able to save a fileset with a dataset extension? The names aren't important, just the contents. You can use the unix command "file {filename}" to have unix tell you what the file type really is, regardless of naming conventions.
senthilt1
Participant

Post by senthilt1 »

Hi ArndW,

I got your point, Thanks.

SenthilP
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Try to stay with the convention of ".fs" suffix for File Sets and Lookup File Sets (even though the latter is not a true file set) so that you don't confuse your support provider.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.