Not able to View data from dataset

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vij
Participant

Not able to View data from dataset

Post by vij »

Hi,

We are trying to read data from a dataset in one project which gets created in other project and the "update policy" property is "Append".

When we read this dataset in our job, there are no records from that link.

Can somebody what could be the error?

Thanks in advance
Vij
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why do you think there's an error? One possibility is that there are no rows in the Data Set. More likely, though, is that you are trying to read the Data Set with a configuration file that is incompatible with the one with which the Data Set was written. Can you access the Data Set with the Data Set Management utility in both projects?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vij
Participant

Post by vij »

actually there is no configuration file conflict, i am sure that we use the same configuration file in both the projects.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

use "orchadmin describe -c {dataset}" to get the APT_CONFIGuration from the dataset, then compare that with your dataset as used in the job.
AKUMAR21
Participant

Post by AKUMAR21 »

You can also verify whether the set of values for compute node and partion parameters given in the job properties are same for both the projects. Both the projects should have same set of values.
"In god we trust; rest all we virus scan"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Never "I am sure". Always check.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vij
Participant

Post by vij »

When I do "orchadmin describe -c {dataset name}", i am getting the following error:

##E TFPA 000021 $APT_CONFIG_FILE was not set, and config.apt was not found in the working directory or in $APT_ORCHHOME/etc.
##F TFCF 000009 Fatal Error: Cannot continue without a configuration file.

I tried for different datasets which are created and I can view the data also from the designer. But I am not sure why I am getting this error.

Some of the datasets I tried for has got $APT_Config_Fil parameter value assigned from the job and for some, we pass value from the unix script.
But the error is same, though the dataset exists and view data was also possible.
vij
Participant

Post by vij »

When I do "orchadmin describe -c {dataset name}", i am getting the following error:

##E TFPA 000021 $APT_CONFIG_FILE was not set, and config.apt was not found in the working directory or in $APT_ORCHHOME/etc.
##F TFCF 000009 Fatal Error: Cannot continue without a configuration file.

I tried for different datasets which are created and I can view the data also from the designer. But I am not sure why I am getting this error.

Some of the datasets I tried for has got $APT_Config_Fil parameter value assigned from the job and for some, we pass value from the unix script.
But the error is same, though the dataset exists and view data was also possible.
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

before using orchadmin, you must always set the $APT_CONFIG_FILE and $APT_ORCHHOME
vij
Participant

Post by vij »

at the job level?
I have set the $APT_CONFIG_FILE parmater in the job. Can you please tell me the value for $APT_ORCHHOME parameter, at the job level?
hello105
Participant

Re: Not able to View data from dataset

Post by hello105 »

Try to set the dataset to the sequence mode,then check if there are any rows.
vij wrote:Hi,

We are trying to read data from a dataset in one project which gets created in other project and the "update policy" property is "Append".

When we read this dataset in our job, there are no records from that link.

Can somebody what could be the error?

Thanks in advance
Vij
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

vij wrote:When I do "orchadmin describe -c {dataset name}", i am getting the following error:
##E TFPA 000021 $APT_CONFIG_FILE was not set...
As mentioned earlier, you will need to set the UNIX env variables and also run the ". $DSHOME/dsenv" file. I am not at a datastage site right now, but I think that the Config file used to create the dataset is a different one from the active one. This command will display the APT_CONFIG settings used to create your dataset.