Multiple Job Compile Error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jim.paradies
Premium Member
Premium Member

Multiple Job Compile Error

Post by jim.paradies »

I'm trying to compile multiple jobs and for some reason I get the following error on some jobs.

"Cannot get exclusive access to job to compile it"

Now I know that no-one else is using the job because only I have access to this project and also when I open the same job in Designer, I can compile with no errors.

I'm trying to find some pattern on which jobs error but I haven't found one yet.

Has anyone else come across this?
Jim Paradies
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This can also occur if the job is open in Director in log or monitor view.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jim.paradies
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jim.paradies »

Thanks Ray.

In this case there were no other DataStage clients open. Also you would expect that the Designer would also fail if a job was locked by another client.
Jim Paradies
cfuller
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cfuller »

Hi Jim

I found this issue too when importing a number of jobs from a v7 export into a v8 project, although there did not seem to be any correlation between the jobs imported and the jobs that the compiler could not get exclusive access to. To overcome the problem I had to clear the locks on the jobs, via DS.TOOLS, and recompile all the jobs. I thought it was just me, but perhaps I should mention it to IBM next time I'm talking to them.

Let us know if you get a solution.

:)
Regards
Chris Fuller

"Reality is what refuses to go away when you stop believing in it"
whenry6000
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by whenry6000 »

I have experienced the same thing. No other clients open, the job has never been opened at all. I have just imported them and am going to compile.
cfuller wrote:Hi Jim

I found this issue too when importing a number of jobs from a v7 export into a v8 project, although there did not seem to be any correlation between the jobs imported and the jobs that the compiler could not get exclusive access to. To overcome the problem I had to clear the locks on the jobs, via DS.TOOLS, and recompile all the jobs. I thought it was just me, but perhaps I should mention it to IBM next time I'm talking to them.

Let us know if you get a solution.

:)
jim.paradies
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jim.paradies »

The server must have been a bit confused. I remember we had a few problems that day.

Since then, the server has been bounced and I've used the Multiple Compile a number of times with no problems.
Jim Paradies
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I've been encountering the same type of issue on a new AIX V8.0.1 machine. I was the only one on the box and had no Designer clients open, but the multiple job compile would give me that error, or after the multiple job compile completed I would get a warning when opening up a job (one that didn't compile) in the Designer that it was already open. The referenced session turns out not to exist (according to the http: admin client). It seems to be an issue, but I haven't tried tracking it down yet.
blazDelParis
Participant

Post by blazDelParis »

Hi,
in 2010, it seems the problem still exists while I'm facing the same.

I've imported several jobs.
(the jobs were already on the server, I've imported a new version of them, overwriting the old version )
I know I'm the only one locked on it.
To be sure, I've made a cleanup ressources on all my jobs.
as 7 jobs need to be compiled, i want to use the multiple compile option.
I've no director program opened.

Every time i try, i get a "Cannot get exclusive access to job to compile it" for each of them.

However, if i try to compile them in the designer , one by one, the jobs are compiled without any problems.

PX 8.0.1 on a unix system.
it's good to give a fish to a hungry man
it's better to teach him fishing
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Might just be an issue with 8.0.1. It seems like the import process may not clean up some locks when it is finishes.

I just close the Designer client that did the import, then open a fresh designer client. Multiple job compile then works fine.

Mike