Post-installation problems with IBM info server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rabs
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post-installation problems with IBM info server

Post by rabs »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could provide some assistance around some errors I am receiving following installation of v8 on windows.

Basically i've installed the IBM v8 toolset (datastage, info analyser, etc) on a WIN2003 virtual server with SP1 which has approx 4GB ram and 10GB HDD.

I've also installed Visual Studio C++ express edition and Microsoft Platform for Win 2003 SDK R2 (done prior to IBM install).

After the install I set-up and mapped a user to a local OS user (dstageuser) with highest level of access.

Now, I can run the WAS admin and can even login to Info Analyser without any problems however when I try log in to the Datastage clients, be it Director, Designer, etc I get the following series of error messages (appear after I enter my login/password and hit OK):

Error calling subroutine: *DataStage*DSR.ADMIN (Action=39); check DataStage is set up correctly in project sandbox_proj_1
(Internal Error (39207))

Error calling subroutine: *DataStage*DSR.ADMIN (Action=40); check DataStage is set up correctly in project sandbox_proj_1
(The connection is broken (81002))

Error calling subroutine: *DataStage*DSR_PROJECT (Action=2); check DataStage is set up correctly in project sandbox_proj_1

Error calling subroutine: *DataStage*DSR_PROJECT (Action=2); check DataStage is set up correctly in project sandbox_proj_1

After clicking OK to all these messages I eventually get into Designer however just about all options such as the ability to create a new Parallel job are greyed out.

Also, when I log in to the Administrator I get 2 of the above messages followed by:

CDSRUserAccess.TakeSharedLock: Internal error - Failed to open file : UV.ACCOUNT (81002)

Any help or advice would be greatly and DESPERATELY appreciated as I've been trying this for hours and hours with the same issue!

I'm also in the queue with IBM tech support on this one but who knows when i'll hear back.

thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The message with teh UV.ACCOUNT points to file access issues. Do you have any security software installed? Can you globally change access rights to the DataStage server and project directories (temporarily, to see if it makes a difference)?
If you execute "telnet localhost" from the server, do you get a login window from DataStage, you can choose the account "UV" and exit out of the TCL prompt with "QUIT"?
rabs
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by rabs »

The only security software I can see is Symantec Anti-virus; windows firewall is also currently disabled.

How would I change the global access rights to the Dstage server and project directories?

Also, when I try telnet, nothing happens; a telnet window pops up for about a second and says attempting to "connecting to localhost" but then just dies.

I pretty much have full control over the box at the moment so can try anything, just let me know.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The "telnet localhost" works only if your client and server machines are the same. Try "telnet {ds-server-name}".
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you connect to the server using the DataStage Administrator client?

If so, can you get to this project's properties?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rabs
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by rabs »

ray.wurlod wrote:Can you connect to the server using the DataStage Administrator client?

If so, can you get to this project's properties?
ArndW - Whilst on the actual virtual server, I tried "telnet servername" however the result is the same, i.e. a telnet window pops up briefly but just dies. I even tried from another box to telnet in and same thing.

Ray - I can get to the administrator client; after punching in my login details it throws 2 "connection is broken" messages followed by the previously mentioned "takesharedlock" message then logs me in.

But yes, I can get to the project properties. Did you want me to check or change anything there and try?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Open a Command window in the project and execute the LIST.READU command. Let us know what you see. Unfortunately there is no copy/paste from the Command window. Other commands that might prove useful are:
SELECT * FROM UV_SCHEMA;
SELECT * FROM UV.ACCOUNT;
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rabs
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by rabs »

When I do LIST.READU I get a line coming back showing "Active Record Locks:"

The headings Device... Inode.. Netnode Userno Lmode PID and Item-ID......
All have a value associated with them.

When I do SELECT * FROM UV_SCHEMA; I get 3 records listed with column names:
Schema.
Owner..
Path...

Schema values are: CATALOG, <my proj name>, ANALYZERPROJECT
Owner values are 0 and path is just the C: drive paths where these projects are stored.

When I do SELECT * FROM UV.ACCOUNT; 6 records with values for:
Account, UID, GID Owner name, NT pathname, Permissions.

Each field has a value for each record except the Permissions field which doesnt have any values.

Does this look right?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Can you post the "LIST.READU EVERY" result? (use the code tags so we can see the formatting, please). I haven't checked a V8 Windows installation, but prior to this version DS always installed it's own minimal telnet listener which routed through to the TCL, I am surprised that this isn't working. But since you can (eventually) connect to DS using the client software it would seem that at least the services are up and running.
rabs
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by rabs »

Hi ArndW,

This is what i get after i launched Administrator and ran the "LIST.READU EVERY" command:

Code: Select all

Active Group Locks:                                          Record   Group  Group  Group
Device...   Inode.....   Netnode  Userno  Lmode  G-Address.  Locks    ...RD  ...SH  ...EX
838222719   2039334646    0       62928   62 IN         800     1         0      0      0

Code: Select all

Active Record Locks:
Device...   Inode.....   Netnode  Userno  Lmode  PID       Item-ID..............
838222719   2039334646    0       63912   62 RL           sandbox_proj_1&!DS.ADMIN!&
838222719   2039334646    0       61468   62 RL           sandbox_proj_1&!DS.ADMIN!&  
838222719   2039334646    0       64416   62 RL           sandbox_proj_1&!DS.ADMIN!&
838222719   2039334646    0       62928   62 RL  2608     sandbox_proj_1&!DS.ADMIN!&
How does this look to you?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That shows that there are four clients attached to the project, of which three are defunct processes (have no process ID).

You should be able safely to execute UNLOCK userno ALL command for the three user numbers (other than 62928) that do not have process IDs.
rabs
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by rabs »

ray.wurlod wrote:That shows that there are four clients attached to the project, of which three are defunct processes (have no process ID).

You should be able safely to execute UNLOCK userno ALL command for the three user numbers (other than 62928) that do not have process IDs.
When I try execute the UNLOCK userno ALL command the Administrator Command Output window just hangs.

Any other way to zap the processes? Is this likely to help anyway? thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I haven't seen the UNLOCK command wait on anything, it either releases the locks or fails to do so. Could you Cntrl-C out of the UNLOCK command? Perhaps you are having some sort of access issues; are you logged in as a dsadmin user with local Windows administrator privileges?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, I also have never seen the UNLOCK command hang like this. Are you specifying the keyword "ALL" in upper case?
rabs
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by rabs »

I'm not really sure why it's hanging; bit of a worry if you guys have not seen that before.

I actually issued the command and let it run only to return after quite some time to see the command window just hanging there with the hour glass. Seems the only way to kill the defunct processes is with a restart of the server. I eventually have to kill Administrator using the Task Manager.

And I am definitely using UNLOCK and ALL in upper case as you guys specified.

In terms of users, i set-up a user in info server that I mapped to a local o/s user which has admin rights. I assigned the dstage user I set-up with administrator role access to everything so figured access rights shouldn't be an issue.

Starting to think that maybe the binary is corrupt (although Info Analyser runs and works ok) or that Dstage just doesn't run properly on a virtual server....

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.. thanks.