v8.0.1 client on Vista

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

v8.0.1 client on Vista

Post by roblew »

Has anyone encountered the following errors, trying to run the v8.0.1 DS client on Windows Vista? We're running Vista Enterprise with Service Pack 1. Our DataStage server installation is on RHEL AS4, but is irrelevant here since we don't even get far enough to try and connect to the server.

I get these errors when trying to open Designer, Administrator, or Director:

Code: Select all

Internal error - could not create object of class VMDataStage.CDSRepos
(40509) Unable to create the Object Manager
I looks to me like a permissions thing, but I'm not sure.

Anyone have ideas? We're already done a reboot- no change.

thanks in advance
UweOdrich
Participant

Post by UweOdrich »

Hi,

Some weeks ago, we did a test install on Vista.
The keys to get it working on our site:
1. We need to install under Program files, because outside of this directory the rights were not sufficient to run.
2. The install program had a problem with the space in "Program files". We used the DOS name of the directory to install: C:\PROGRA~1\IBM\InformationServer.
3. After Installation we gave write permissions for the file registered_servers.xml to everyone. Without this, only the install user was able to login.

Regards
Uwe
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

thanks for the tips!

I forgot to mention that I installed Fixpack 1A. Also, our sys admin thought she put us in the admin group, but didn't; so, she put us in the administrators group on the box. Once I re-installed with admin privileges and without the FixPack 1A, it seems to be working ok now.
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Will also run with FixPack1A

Post by BI-RMA »

roblew wrote:thanks for the tips!

I forgot to mention that I installed Fixpack 1A. Also, our sys admin thought she put us in the admin group, but didn't; so, she put us in the administrators group on the box. Once I re-installed with admin privileges and without the FixPack 1A, it seems to be working ok now.
Hi Roblew,

Using Administrator-rights during installation it is no problem to install FixPack1A as well. May I remind you, that running different product-versions on Server and Client is highly discouraged by IBM and may lead to some strange behaviour of the tool.

The problem with the installation under Vista - and of course Windows 7 - has got nothing to do with any server-side user-administration. I installed the clients at home - without the least chance of ever connecting to our Server. Still the problems occurred - and were solved by installing with administrator rights.
"It is not the lucky ones are grateful.
There are the grateful those are happy." Francis Bacon