Virtual Hash files , Distributed Hash file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Puli
Participant

Virtual Hash files , Distributed Hash file

Post by Puli »

Hi All,

Last day i came across 2 new interesting words.One is Virtual Hash file and the other is Distributed Hash file. You people have any idea on these or are they some scrap idea?

Give your thoughts..

Regards
Puli
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Where did you come across these terms?

My guess is that a virtual hashed file (never "hash" file) is one that is cached in memory.

A Distributed File is a UniVerse construct that is also available in DataStage; it is a logical way to provide an "umbrella" containing multiple standard hashed files that have identical metadata. Before 64-bit addressing became available in standard hashed files, Distributed Files were one way to defeat the 2GB size limit on hashed files.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Puli
Participant

Post by Puli »

Hi,

Actually last week we had a discussion on Hash file design considerations and performance tuning in hash file. So during that one delegate was giving his comments on this.I guess the Virtual concept is similar to the Cached hased file..but distributed...i dont remember the scenario in which he presented that word...

Regards
Puli
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Maybe this person was thinking of the PX virtual datasets and applied it (incorrectly) to server hashed files.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I was wondering what the answer would be to this. I for one have never heard of a 'virtual' hashed file but doesn't mean much so waited for an official Wurlod answer to see. :wink:

Distributed hashed files, however, are a Known Thing and something I've experimented with a number of years ago after seeing an interesting presentation on their usage (by BCBS, I think) at an AscentialWorld back in the day.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers