Read Mainframe Base File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Meera
Premium Member
Premium Member

Read Mainframe Base File

Post by Meera »

Hi All,
I have a requirement to read multiple GDG's (versions) of a mainframe file. The current design I am using is to FTP different GDG's , combine them using a funnel and then write to a dataset.

The question is , is there any way I could read the base mainframe file through an FTP stage, instad of using multiple FTP stages to read different GDG's and then combine them.

I tried specifying the base filename in FTP, and it failed with an error: filename not found. Any suggestions on whether we could directly read the base mainframe file instead of GDG's?

Thanks
randallwarren
Participant

Post by randallwarren »

//SORT1 EXEC SORTD,CYL=600,TIME.SORT=120
//SORTIN DD DSN=PRD.PMKSxxx.SQ.BASEGDG,DISP=SHR
//SORTOUT DD DSN=PRD.PMKSxxx.SQ.FILETOFTP,DISP=(,CATLG,DELETE
// UNIT=TAPE9,DCB=(INDX,LRECL=24,RECFM=FB)
//SYSIN DD *
SORT FIELDS=COPY
END
/*
On Mainframe you can copy GDG's to one file (as above) quickly and FTP the single file.
Meera
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Meera »

Thanks Randall. Combining them in mainframe would be a good option.

Right now I am using FTP plug in stage. So I can read only one file at a time(could we read more?)
If I use FTP Enterprise Stage, would I be able to read multiple files at the same time by providing multiple URI's?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The JCL Randall provided (suitably adapted to your site) will produce one file that you can transfer using FTP.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Meera
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Meera »

Thanks Ray