Re-partition

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ahmedwaseem2000
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re-partition

Post by ahmedwaseem2000 »

Hi,

Scenario:

I partition the data in my first step using hash partition. after which, i would want to rename the the key columns on which i have partitioned the data upon. so, when i rename the columns does the partition is lost or the same partitions can be continued with?

PS: I know that i can always rename the column before partitioning the data. but thats not my answer.

Thanks,
Waseem
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The partition will remain the same until you explicitly change the partitioning method; i.e. the default will be "same".
ahmedwaseem2000
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ahmedwaseem2000 »

thanks - However, will the change in the key names will have any impact on that?
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

Change in metadata should not trigger re-partitioning; once done, logically speaking, only explicit repartitioning and (this section may be incorrect) stage-driven auto re-partitioning can change the partitioned data.
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

However, will the change in the key names will have any impact on that?
No. You can certainly do an experiment to confirm this.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No even without an experiment. Key-based partitioning is driven by VALUES in the data fields, not the names of the data fields. Non-key partitioning is driven simply by the order of rows in the data - again not the name(s) of anything.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.