Regarding Checkpoing

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

das_nirmalya
Participant

Regarding Checkpoing

Post by das_nirmalya »

I have created restartable sequence through checkpoint .
what is the purpose of "do not checkpoint run" option in individual job activity property of the sequence,

My checkpoint seqence is working fine when any of of job aborted and I have not select "do not checkpoint run" !

What is the purpose of this given option?
nsd
mahadev.v
Participant

Post by mahadev.v »

That option is like a double negative and quite confusing. If you don't check the box then your sequence will be restartable as in, run from the previously failed activity. If you check the box, then the activity will run every time you run the sequence, irrespective of whether it ran successfully or aborted in the previous run.
"given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow" - Eric S. Raymond
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Restart works by a checkpoint being created for each successfully completed activity. On restart, if checkpoints exist, DataStage skips any checkpointed activity. Sometimes, however, you need a particular activity to run even though it completed successfully on the previous run - for example an activity that initializes a unique run ID, or a surrogate key. It is for these that the "do not checkpoint run" check box exists - such activities will never be checkpointed and therefore will always re-executed.
If all activities in a job sequence complete successfully then all checkpoints are removed, and an entry is placed in the job log to report that this has been done: therefore all activities will be executed on the next run after a fully successful run.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not really a 'double negative', just an opportunity to disable at the job level an option at the Sequence level. Use it in a Restartable sequence for any job that should always run each time, regardless of the current checkpoint status.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers