Diffrent Link Names and Purpose in PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ysrini9
Participant

Diffrent Link Names and Purpose in PX

Post by ysrini9 »

Hi,

Could you please explain me about diffrent link names and purpose in PX?

Thanks in Advance

Thanks and Regards
Srini.Y
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

All links have the same purpose, they depict in which direction data flows between two stages. Link Names are a matter of policy and standards.
ysrini9
Participant

Post by ysrini9 »

Hi,

I know that Links are for Data flow between Stages in DataStage,But in Parallel Extender Link shapes will vary ...Would like to know main Diifrences between them

Thanks in Advance
Srini.Y
ysrini9
Participant

Post by ysrini9 »

Hi,

I know that Links are for Data flow between Stages in DataStage,But in Parallel Extender Link shapes will vary ...Would like to know main Diifrences between them

Thanks in Advance
Srini.Y
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I assume you are referring to the little graphical objects placed on the links in PX jobs. These show whether repartitioning (which includes going between sequential and parallel type stages) or sorting is taking place on that link.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Could you please explain me about diffrent link names and purpose in PX?
Shall i know what do you exactly mean "different link names"? Did they mean the Link Types?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Names: you should adopt and maintain a naming convention for DataStage objects, including links and stages. When you go to another employer you may well find that a different convention is in place. So long it is systematic, meaningful, reasonable to use and maintain, it is a good naming convention.

Link icons: there are five link icons (plus no link icon) for partitioning, towards the arrowhead end of the link. These represent Auto, Same, Partitioning, Re-Partitioning and Collecting (no icon appears on a link connecting two stages executing in sequential mode). There may be a Sort icon on the link if input link sorting is specified in the target stage. Near the other end of the link there may be a metadata marker icon, indicating that one or more column definitions has been associated with that link.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsean
Participant

Post by dsean »

Well, I m not sure of your question but if you are asking about Stream link , Reference link and reject link, then here you go.
Stream link is used for source files or master files while the reference links are used for Lookup files and Reject links are used as the name suggests rejected data. You will find more about this in parallel job guide.

Sean