transforming a common column in different tables in one job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kirankota79
Premium Member
Premium Member

transforming a common column in different tables in one job

Post by kirankota79 »

I have different columns that i need to transform in my project. For example i have SSN in around 20 tables that i need to transform to a different value. Is it possible to transform the SSN column in all these 20 tables in a single job? Currently i am coding one job per each table.

Thanks in advance?
wesd
Participant

Re: transforming a common column in different tables in one

Post by wesd »

kirankota79 wrote:I have different columns that i need to transform in my project. For example i have SSN in around 20 tables that i need to transform to a different value. Is it possible to transform the SSN column in all these 20 tables in a single job? Currently i am coding one job per each table.

Thanks in advance?
Can you provide some information on what you are doing with the SSN?

Need to know:
- Are you reading from all 20 tables?
- What is the update (1 table, 20 tables, flat files)
- Is there any logical way to break down the data?
Wes Dumey
Senior Consultant
Data Warehouse Projects
kirankota79
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kirankota79 »

i am reading SSN from all the 20 tables from an oracle database through oracle enterprise stage and need to update all the oracle tables with a new SSN. SSN is key in some tables and non key in some tables.

they have given the list of tables and told me to transform the SSN to a dummy or some other value. They have granted the privileges that need for oracle stage. I don't have much information on the database side.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If they are all in one Transformer stage select them all, right click and use Derivation Substitution to enter the transformation expression once.

If they are in separate Transformer stages the answer is no, but you still have copy-and-paste available.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.