Scheduling Options

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

verify
Premium Member
Premium Member

Scheduling Options

Post by verify »

We have over 400 jobs now and the nubmer is expected to grow to 1000 jobs in next 3 months from now. We are using UNIX scripts for scheduling the jobs. Our UNIX scripts are now becoming overly complext as the jobs are growing. I would like to know the pros and cons of using
UNIX,JAVA, Datastage Director and any job management software (Autosys).

Apreciate any help in this regards..

Thanks in Advance,
RK
RK Raju
dnsjain
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by dnsjain »

First of all you need to take a control on the number of jobs which are scheduled. One way to achieve this is through sequence jobs. Define a sequence job and logically divide all of the jobs in few sequences and schedule only them.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'd be curious exactly what 'using UNIX scripts for scheduling the jobs' means. Does that mean you have a script setup for every job, series of jobs, logical groups of jobs, what? Are you leveraging Sequence jobs anywhere or for any portion of this? :?

UNIX and JAVA are not scheduling tools. Director just uses cron on UNIX, a basic scheduler at its most basic. Do you have any kind of Enterprise Scheduler like AutoSys or Control-M available to you?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
verify
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by verify »

I am sorry. I did not post my question properly. We are using sequencers and we have so as many as 40 sequencer for 400 datastage jobs.

Right now we are invoking these sequencers with required paramenters from UNIX scripts. We have scheduled UNIX scripts using cron tab in UNIX.

As I understand from your response is that we can use datastage director to schedule the sequeners. What are the pros/cons of using datastage director over normal UNIX scripts???

We do not have any Autosys license at the moment. But we can procure Autosys if we can not do this with the current setup.

Appreciate any help
RK Raju
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Director limits your flexibility as it only provides what both operating system (UNIX and Windows) schedulers can offer. If you script it yourself you can use the full functionality of, for example, cron, for example to schedule every hour with one entry.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.