Use Basic Transformer in PX job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Use Basic Transformer in PX job

Post by pneumalin »

Hi All,
Has anyone encountered the following problem:
ds_ipcopen() - call to OpenMutex() failed - The system cannot find the file specified.

When using Basic Transformer in a PX job.

I have no problem in Windows 2000 server, the problem is in XP.

Please help!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Does this happen all the time or only sometimes? If only sometimes, is it when the system is busy? Are you executing this job on a single machine (SMP environment) or multiple machines (MPP or grid environment)?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

Ray, thanks for reply.
I am executing the PX job in a single PX machine(Server/Client installed), and I have ensured UVTEMP point to C:\TEMP and C:\TEMP is empty and C: got plenty of space, but the problem persists.

The same patch level of DataStage server/client installed in Windows 2000 server D: instead of C: like I did in Windows XP, and the simple PX job using Basic Transformer runs fine.

Let me try to point UVTEMP to some other Drive in XP since I installed DataStage in C:, wonder if this will make a difference. Will let you know.

Appreciated if you have some other hints to debug this issue.

Thanks again1
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ray.wurlod wrote:Does this happen all the time or only sometimes? If only sometimes, is it when the system is busy?
This was actually the more important sentence in my previous post.

The timeout that occurs may or may not be at the boundary between the parallel, stongly-typed environment and the server, un-typed environment, or it may not be.

Isolating the source of the timeout is a necessary step in diagnosis.

Can you please also advise the exact version of DataStage server you are using?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

Ray,
I have reboot the Windows XP several time to ensure there is no system resource issue before I rerun this job. However, the problem is consistenly occuring no matter what I tired to run.

To my understandings, there is only one version 7.5x2 in Windows and I don't have any patch related to this type of issue.

Thanks for your help again..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As a test, can you make a copy of the job and replace the BASIC Transformer stage with a regular parallel Transformer stage? This will isolate the problem to the BASIC Transformer stage (or to the interface between the parallel and server environments). It does not really matter that new stage does not perform all the tasks of the old, but it must generate the correct data types.
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

Ray,
I tried to save the job as a new one, and replace the Basic Transformer with a regular PX transformer and the job finished no error. I have also created a new job from scratch using PX tranformer and the job finished no error also. Any other hint?
BTW, I tried to change UVTEMP to the other drive and uvregen it. That did help at all..
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

ray,
I believe there must be some patches around to fix this issue for Windows XP and 2003 server since I found the other clients had no problem on this topic using Windows 2003 server. Will talk to IBM for a patch, and will let you know if this patch works.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't see how you can expect a patch to fix a problem on an unsupported platform, but it can't hurt to ask.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers