How to debug possible improper XPath expressions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I think the easiest way to check your xpath is to simplify things, copying the job and then deleting columns so that you are using only say....one column.........then visually eye the xpath.... you could have spelling problems, missing elements in the path....namespaces in your xpath with no namespaces in the real document, etc. What you "see" in IE in the hierarchy, you should be able to see in your xpath in the Description.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
Ronnie
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Ronnie »

That was it. There was a namespace tucked away in the XML which caused the problem.

Though I didn't quite get what you meant by "deleting columns" so that I am only using "one column". I assume you meant narrowing (deleting columns) down the 1,000+ column/element XML input file eventually to "one column"? That would have taken hours if I'm understanding correctly.

Ernie, thanks for responding and directing me to the problem.
Ronnie B
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

...I shouldn't have been so "literal" in my description. Actually "deleting" the columns from the grid could be a bit tedious, or at least require some scrolling ---- but just picking only one from deep inside a node in the metadata importer, or else just doing a single one "by hand" in a brand new link is what I meant.... I do that a lot (retrieving just one single element at the depth I need) for unit testing.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>