Filter Stage parameterization

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

aditya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Filter Stage parameterization

Post by aditya »

Hi All,

I have a job which uses the filter stage to impose conditions on specific column data.

I had parameterized this condition and could test the same successfully when I ran the job in datastage.

However while designing the sequence I had intended to pass the value by reading a file in UNIX which stores the condition.

My sequence was designed as follows

Execute Command Stage -----> Job Activity

Execute Command Stage ===> cat test.txt

Job Activity ===> pass the command output of the Execute command stage to the filter parameter of job1

The file test.txt had the condition: MODIFIED_USER = "ABC"

MODIFIED_USER denotes the column name

The sequence continued to throw errors regarding invalid parameter value/limit value.

I tried to trim the command output but the same error persisted.

I tried to use some or the String funtions hoping that I could pass the value but looks like everytime the sequence just aborted.

Any ideas about how this could be solved.

Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I am confused as to whether your problem is in the Job Sequence and getting the 2 values or whether it is in the PX job after passing those two values?
OddJob
Participant

Post by OddJob »

I had exactly the same issue, fixed as follows:

I think the problem is that DataStage will treat the output from the cat command as separate records - each line (or record) will be suffixed with a field marker @FM.

Use the following syntax to extract your value:

Trim(Field(ExecCmdStage.$CommandOutput,@FM,1))

The Trim makes sure the single field has no spaces and may be surplus to your requirements. The Field part is what's important here.
aditya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by aditya »

Thanks OddJob! Your solution was a beauty.