Datastage Server Config

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

senthilt1
Participant

Datastage Server Config

Post by senthilt1 »

HI Friends,

Could anyone tell me whats the best server configuration that we can have for Px which would improve performance. What are things to be considered for while setting up Px server, for performance. The Database we'll use is DB2.

Thanks,

Senthil P
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Now I need to use the adage Ray always does : "Define Performance".

In order to optimally start setting up a machine you need to know the type of box (CPUs, Memory, IO Ports, Disks, etc.) as well as have an inkling of what sort of ETL load is going to be used. Is the DB2 database on the same machine or, if not, what sort of connectivity are you going to have?

These factors all affect how the system is configured at the OS level. Once that is done correctly, you can begin using the APT_CONFIG file to fine-tune both the number of levels of parallelism as well as the file locations.

And after all that you need to monitor the system when the jobs are running and, depending on which bottlenecks you see, either adjust the system settings or the PX Configuration or buy additional hardware or accept the throughput.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you plan to have the Information Repository database server, the WebSphere Application Server and the DataStage server all on the same machine or on separate machines? What network hardware do you plan to use?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.