Character Conversion ISO-88591-1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

reddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Character Conversion ISO-88591-1

Post by reddy »

Hi,

The NLS Characterset in our Oracle DB is set as 'AL32UTF8'. When I run my jobs to extract the data i get a warning like below

'Implicit conversion from source type "ustring[3]" to result type "string[3]": Converting ustring to string using codepage ISO-8859-1.'

My taraget data has some weird unrecognisable characters in it. This happens only with the cloumns of string datatype. I get this error when i read the data from source and these are passed along to the target. I am using ODBC to read the source as well as to load into target. Can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advace,

Reddy.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Try changin ur NLS_LANG to AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8 or UFT8.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
reddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by reddy »

We dont have NLS enabled in our DS Server. Can i do it in anyother way?

Thanks,
Reddy
reddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by reddy »

We dont have NLS enabled in our DS Server. Can i do it in anyother way?

Thanks,
Reddy
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

You can enable it in you Job level too at job property, if you have code map.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
reddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by reddy »

I dont think we have NLS installed on our server. Can we even do it at job properties without the NLS being installed?

Thanks,
Reddy.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Kumar's suggestion will work for you. It tells Oracle to use that character set as output and it does the NLS translation to UTF8 which is what DataStage would like.
Since you don't have NLS installed in DataStage you cannot use any NLS settings inside the product.