Failed to enumerate local groups

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Failed to enumerate local groups

Post by roblew »

Hello,
We're encountering this error upon opening Project "Properties" DataStage Administrator.

"DSR.ADMIN: Failed to enumerate local groups"

After opening the properties window, the list of groups are not visible in the Permissions tab under Group Permissions (everything else looks ok). But, after closing the window, and pressing the "Properties" button again will yield no errors, and the groups will now be visible in the Permissions tab.

If I open Properties for a different project, the same thing happens all over again.

For now, it is just an annoyance. Anyone have any ideas? FYI, we are using NIS for users and groups.

Thanks,
Rob
tscala
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Failed to enumerate local groups

Post by tscala »

I had this issue a week or so ago. IBM sent a patch (ecase 96714) for 7.5.2 on RHL AS 3 which didn't work- but it may be somewhere to start for you.
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

thanks, I've already opened a case with IBM. I'll update it with these notes.
tscala
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tscala »

Hi-

As per IBM support, I removed all references to LDAP from file /etc/nsswitch.conf and the problem cleared up. I did not have to reboot the server.

We had both files and LDAP defined in the configuration file for authentication; DataStage could get to the /etc/groups file but could not get to the LDAP groups file so it was failing. We are not using LDAP for authentication, so commenting out all entries referencing LDAP did the trick.
ufl_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Failed to enumerate local groups

Post by ufl_developer »

tscala wrote:I had this issue a week or so ago. IBM sent a patch (ecase 96714) for 7.5.2 on RHL AS 3 which didn't work- but it may be somewhere to start for you.
Hello,

We were having the same problem, i.e. DS could not get local groups. We got a patch from ibm, e113875-multi-linux.zip. After we applied the patch, the DS can access the local groups and everything looks nice. However, we now are having problems when we run a little larger ETL jobs (say anything more than 500k rows). They failed with errors like: ds_ipcput() - timeout waiting for mutex. Then we backed out of the patch, re-run the jobs, they all worked fine. and then we reapply the patch, the problem come again. i.e. the errors are repeatable. Clearly this patch has problems. Does anyone here knows what's going on? or having a similar situations? or any solutions? Appreciated!
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

FYI, we had applied this patch long ago (Feb2007), and it seemed to work ok for our environment. We did not encounter the same errors you have described.

However, if memory serves me right, in our case we also had many members (100+) in the dstage group, which I think was the actual root cause for this error to pop up when using DS Administrator. We worked around this eventually by splitting the dstage group into two (dstage and dstage2), both with the same group id.

Since then we have moved to PAM authentication with LDAP (Active Directory). I don't know all the details here, but it didn't seem to be adversely affected.

Anyways, my sequence of events are sort of hazy, but we don't seem to have any of these issues anymore.

Code: Select all

Brief description of problem (ecase 113875)
===========================================
When opening project properties in DataStage Administrator,
gets error
    "DSR.ADMIN: Failed to enumerate local groups -".
Then it does bring up the properties. In the
Permissions tab, select user role of DataStage Developer
and click on Ok. Select the Properties again, gets error
    "DSR.ADMIN: Failed to enumerate local groups"
again and the Group permissions is still empty for user
role of DataStage Developer. The .developer.adm file in
the project has the proper groups and the user has read
permission to this file.

Notes
=====
The problem was caused by a group contining a list of users
which was too long for the system. The code has been modified