Comparison of DataStage 7.5 and 8.0

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Roopanwita
Participant

Comparison of DataStage 7.5 and 8.0

Post by Roopanwita »

I am working in a DS project in which exiting codes will be moving from DS 7.5 to DS8.0. So which factors should be considerded/tested while testing to run code properly in new version.
Thanks
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Comparison of DataStage 7.5 and 8.0

Post by sud »

Well, from a testing perspective I would not be very concerned about the feature/functionality changes since the bottomline will be to test "output" data and validate all business rules. The conversion will typically involve regression testing - runing through all test cases again, and as long as all test cases return positive results ... the conversion will be dubbed successful. The same strategy will also be applicable to performance tests, as long performance paradigms set from before according to SLAs are satisfied, as a tester I would be happy and would not at all be bothered about the ETL software version or for that matter which ETL tool was used in the first place.
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
Roopanwita
Participant

Post by Roopanwita »

Thanks for your reply.
It is tru that tester is more concerned about output.But my question is, with change in version there is a change in functions ,format of functions .Eg ,ver 8 got more advanced features & function.
Like change in functions/function format ,what are other things that need to be taken care of.
Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are no changes in functions. Only new functions.

Everything in 7.5 will work in 8.0, according to everything we've had from IBM.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
paulhill20
Participant

[Sarcasm intended] - yeah right

Post by paulhill20 »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]There are no changes in functions. Only new functions.

Everything in 7.5 will work in 8.0, according to everything we've had from IBM. ...[/quote]

When the developers are in the back room tweaking the transformer code and the merge code and the other stages and change the behavior - something is bound to break. Going from 6.0 to 7.5 caused us to make a bunch of code changes - 6.0 was what I would call "datatype agnostic" and 7.5 is not; some 6.0 code had datatypes changing implicitly behind the scenes when it should have been causing "errors" and failures in the job; 7.5 has more backbone although there are plenty of things that could use a good "fixing". When I get done with the upgrade (which will take a while since there is no documentation indicating what has changed), I'll report back on all the things that needed to be fixed. Or perhaps you already know - Enlighten me. I wished I had faith that it would be easy - but sometimes things like this are just not easy - UGH.