How to integrate 2 data marts

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajeshkadiri
Participant

Post by rajeshkadiri »

sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: How to integrate 2 data marts

Post by sud »

Put em in a mixer.
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

The Monte Carlo method should work well (especially for steep slopes) to establish several random points that you can use to sum the parts.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And here I was going to say simply bus them to the same school. Oh well.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

sud wrote:Put em in a mixer.
:lol:
with strawberries and sugar.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Define integrate in this case.

Step 1 is planning, usually with the inputs of business analysts and/or subject matter experts.

Step 2 is more planning, taking the results of Step 1 (which determine what is required) and designing the ETL as a set of target-from-source mappings.

Step 3 is the physical set up of the target tables.

Step 4 is acquisition of the metadata associated with those tables, and construction of any other needed design components (Transforms, Routines, Data Elements).

Only then should you contemplate doing any actual ETL development.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by John Smith »

perhaps you could provide more details on what you're trying to achieve and clearly define integrate?
i guess the underlying metadata has to be consistent for any integration work.you can't integrate when both the data marts speak different languages if you know what i mean.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Wanna bet?

I'm involved right now in a Japanese & English mix.

Yes, I understand what you're saying - that there has to be some measure of compatability - and business agreement on common terms - before data marts (or any other silos of information) can be merged in any meaningful sense.

IBM's Business Glossary is a great way to get the business analysts and subject matter experts to produce their part of the bargain, and the common Repository in version 8 means that is available to database architects (at least if they're using Rational Architect) and to DataStage developers.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.