Aggregator Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

syam.neelam
Participant

Aggregator Stage

Post by syam.neelam »

Could anyone explain in detail about the disadvantages of using Aggregator Stage.
Syam Sundar Reddy
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I am not aware of any.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
BugFree
Participant

Post by BugFree »

disadvantages of using Aggregator Stage? here you go:

1) It takes up space on your designer canvas.
2) You will have to sort the data before you use aggregator stage. Again space on the canvas.
3) When running it takes up valuable CPU time, resource/scratch space.
4) And aborts all the time on the last record, so you will have to rerun the job again.

Hell I am not creative enough. This is the best i could do. :(
Ping me if I am wrong...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1) ho hum
2) not true - you can use hash table method or allow tsort operators to be inserted
3) doesn't everything?
4) my glass is half full - no, wait a minute, that's not my glass, my glass had MORE in it than that
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
agpt
Participant

Post by agpt »

Hi Ray,

I was just trying to look into aggregator stage scenario I came across and found this post here in the history. Is it true that aggregator stage aborts on last record every time? I don't think so as I have seen running it fine too. May be I am missing something from the statement made above. Could you please clarify it to me. Is there any other disadvantage from this stage apart from resource consumption?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

About all you are missing from BugFree's comments is the irony they are dripping with. Perhaps some sarcasm as well. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers