Testing Unicode settings via Seq File stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The short answer is No. View Data takes everything through another layer of mapping (the UNIX-to-Windows bit, specified by your "...-CS" map and any assumptions that the Windows controls used in the data browser may be making). My experience with using View Data is that you see a lot of "unmappable" characters (usually represented by "?") that aren't really unmappable. You need a hex editor of some kind. I like UltraEdit, but that's purely a personal choice.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

Ray,
Thanks for the insight. Appreciate it.

I got this job working..... Did a step-by-step revisit/review and found that i hadn't set the encoding to the correct format in the target stage.

Right now, i tried various options
- Set the encoding at the Job level
- Set the encoding at the stage level
- Set the encoding at column level
Got all of them working on the target file side and can view the target file using TextPad.

I then applied the settings on a job that reads from File to the target DB and it worked fine too. I see one strange error with the delimiter string when parsing the header row (Column names).... in the source sequential file - but haven't resolved it yet. I will post an update if i need more help on that.

Due to time constraints, I will defer the "View Data" investigation to a future date.

Thanks again for your time and feedback,
-V