Using Hint on a partitioned table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Using Hint on a partitioned table

Post by dspxlearn »

Hi,

We are loading about 15-16 mill records in a Oracle table which is partitioned. As of now,we could have all the inserts/joins in less than 2 hrs. So, to increase the records inserts much faster, i am thinking of using a PARALLEL Hint during insert into the table.

But, i read somewhere that /*+PARALLEL/ hint lets us to specify the desired number of concurrent servers that can be used for a parallel operation.

So, my question is how this works on a prepartioned database table?
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Basically the same way it does on a non-partitioned table. This is a conversation best had with your Friendly Neighborhood DBA Man. And it's not "concurrent servers" but rather threads.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dspxlearn »

Thanks Craig.
I will have to speak to our DBA and post his comments here.

Just wanted to know for inserts into a partitioned table what would be the better possible Hint we can make use of?
From most of the few earlier posts, i see that many use /*+APPEND*/ hint. But, we have onlyinserts going every day into the table. So, i have used /*+PARALLEL*/. Please suggest.
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

APPEND means add to the existing table without truncating. Your parallel hint isn't a hint. It's just telling Oracle that there could be another simultaneous load occuring against the same table.

If your concern is load performance, consider DIRECT path, partitioned tables, locally managed indexes, no bitmaps, deferred constraints.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle