Set up of Websphere Datastage and Quality Stage Designer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

j_nc_usa
Participant

Set up of Websphere Datastage and Quality Stage Designer

Post by j_nc_usa »

Hi there,

I am 'brand new' to datastage. I have worked on a huge oracle database as a ETL developer and 'partly' DBA for 8yrs now. I am currently on a assignment to work on Datastage on a DB2 database - both Datastage and DB2 are new for me which the employer understands. The hiring manager liked my datawarehousing expertise and thought I could easily adapt to Datastage and DB2. I am currently stuck with installing and configuring Datastage. I am in a bad need of your help to get me going.

My first assignment is to pull data from a DB2 database on a daily basis and do some transformations (not sure what transformations yet. I just started in this new job) and load the data into the DB2 datawarehouse.

1) What tools I would need? I have installed IBM's Websphere Datastage and Quality Stage Designmer. Is this the right tool for the purpose?

2) When I open this, I am seeing a screen shot which says "Attach to project" asking for Domain, Userid, password and Project. What should be the domain name? Is uid/password the same as database's login or is it a separate uid/pwd for datastage?

3) Do I have to install anything for 'metadata' or does it come automatically with the DS designer?

4) Is there a need for having a separate database account for datastage?

5) Where could I get more info on the subject? Premium membership on DSXchange website ($99/year)? And/Or any other training or tutorials or mentoring that you would suggest And/Or are there any good books that you recommend. I am ready to pay some to get going. I hate to see myself stuck in the 'setting up' phase. I atleast want datastage to be connected to the database so I could get myself familiarized to the environment.

PS: There is no sys admin in this company to help out. There is no one else with datastage expertise. They have developed their own ETL with sql scripts and are looking for me to help them migrate everything from hand-written sql scripts to datastage.

PS: My previous company also engaged in 'hand written' sql code for ETL - hence I never got exposure to the state of the art ETL tools.

Thank you,
Joy.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Good luck - you are going to need it. You can spend two months fumbling around with DataStage or go on a five day training course right away. You should be able to find a scheduled course on the IBM website. You don't need a DB2 training course as you don't need to do much with it - DataStage will be pulling the data out for you. You should have a look at the DB2 tutorial in my list The Top 7 Online DataStage Tutorials - it's got instructions on the very tricky configuration between DataStage and DB2.

If you don't have a DataStage mentor or DataStage training it is going to be hard to use the tool effectively.
deanwalker
Participant

Post by deanwalker »

There are plenty of install & configuration documents that come with 8.x, either on the DVD or online at IBM, that will help you decide what topology to use and how to setup the users.
Sounds like you have not installed the Server portions yet.