compilation taking long time

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

IBMDS
Participant

compilation taking long time

Post by IBMDS »

Hello,

i am extracting data from sequential file(comma delimiter), it contains 120 columns. I am checking the (if Len(trim(column1)) = 0 then setnull() else trim(column1)) for all the 120 columns. The compilation is taking almost 20 minutes sucessfully. why its taking long time?, is there any possibility of cut the compilation time.

Thanks
IBMDS
IBMDS
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Describe your job design. Also, compilation is a server activity, if your DS instance is on a node that is heavily utilized that will affect client side response.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
IBMDS
Participant

Post by IBMDS »

There are no process running on server. we have two nodes.

I verified with ps -ef | grep osh command.

Here is the design:

Sequential file -----> Transformer -------> Teradata(table)

in transformer checking for the len(trim(column1) = 0 then setnull() Else trim(column1)

Thanks
IBMDS
IBMDS
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Transform stages can take a long time to compile. This time can also depend upon how many concurrent users your c++ is licensed for.
IBMDS
Participant

Post by IBMDS »

This time its compiled very fast less than 1 minute. Thanks you all for the help.

Thanks
IBMDS
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When a job is re-compiled and no changes have been made to a Transformer stage that has previously been compiled successfully, the Transformer stage is not re-compiled. This may be what you are seeing. There is a Force Compile option in the menu if you want to force re-compilation of the Transformer stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.