Sorting In teradata Enterprise Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

makreddy
Participant

Sorting In teradata Enterprise Stage

Post by makreddy »

Hi,
My tera data Enterprise stage produces 140 Million records. I need these records to be sorted while the records are processed by the next stage. If I sort in datastage, it is not a good option to sort 140 Million records. So, I am planning to sort in the database stage.
But the sorting oredr will be gone, when it comes out. So i am forced to run the tera data enterprise in sequential mode.

Are there anu options or solutions , where I can get the data in sorted fshion out from tera data enterprise stage.

Thanks
Aravind
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sort in DataStage, using a key-based partitioning algorithm (Hash or Modulus) on the sort key(s). You may be surprised how efficient it is. Make sure you have plenty of scratch disk space.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Even the Partitioning Sorted data would loose the sort oder, so either it should run in Sequential more or to sort in Datastage.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's no reason to argue that partitioning loses sorted order. The data on each partition continue to flow in the same order in which they occurred prior to the partitioner.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

That case, Hash partition based on Key should still maintain the sorting order from the Database in each partition.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'