Building User Defined Stages

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mcs@rajesh
Participant

Building User Defined Stages

Post by mcs@rajesh »

Hi
As i am Working in Unix i need to rely upon it for certain functions for example date etc. And later i found that there is an option in DataStage to biuld our own user defined Stages which can utilize the Unix commands(Wrapper Stage). So i need a good document of this .
Can u help me?

Thanks
Rajesh
deanwalker
Participant

Post by deanwalker »

If you bring up the Wrapper Stage GUI the Help button gives quite good information.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Building User Defined Stages

Post by ray.wurlod »

mcs@rajesh wrote:As i am Working in Unix i need to rely upon it for certain functions for example date etc.
Why?
They are also available within DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mcs@rajesh
Participant

Post by mcs@rajesh »

ray.wurlod wrote:
mcs@rajesh wrote:As i am Working in Unix i need to rely upon it for certain functions for example date etc.
Why?
They are also available within DataStage. ...
As a matter of fact am just curious to know about this. But i really faced some issues with DataStage where i can able to Complete complicated logics easily in unix whereas in Datastage its quite difficult. So i think it would be handy and helpful to have such stage.
mcs@rajesh
Participant

Post by mcs@rajesh »

ray.wurlod wrote:
Why?
They are also available within DataStage. ...
As a matter of fact am just curious to know about this. But i really faced some issues with DataStage where i can able to Complete complicated logics easily in unix whereas in Datastage its quite difficult. So i think it would be handy and helpful to have such stage.
devidotcom
Participant

Post by devidotcom »

You could refer the Advanced guide to get information on BuildOp stage or wrapper stages. Basically a good knowledge of C++ is needed to write the logic you are looking for.

Also DataStage is not difficult but fun and exciting to learn and work on. Do try your hands on it you will find its not difficult but that you are unaware of its capabilities.

Thanks
Devi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

For example the CurrentDate() function is available directly as an expression element in a Transformer stage.

What you clearly require is more learning. You can not legitimately pass yourself off as a DataStage developer if you're going to do everything in UNIX scripts - what happens if you're employed by someone who has a Windows-based DataStage server?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mcs@rajesh
Participant

Post by mcs@rajesh »

devidotcom wrote:You could refer the Advanced guide to get information on BuildOp stage or wrapper stages. Basically a good knowledge of C++ is needed to write the logic you are looking for.

Also DataStage is not difficult but fun and exciting to learn and work on. Do try your hands on it you will find its not difficult but that you are unaware of its capabilities.

Thanks
Devi
Hey Thanks a bunch .
Even i tried that too but do we really need c++ to work with it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In most cases, no.
mcs@rajesh
Participant

Post by mcs@rajesh »

I tried with all possible ways but the result in negative ,So can you help me in providing some documents :(
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It's been stated already that the only documents available are those you already have access to.

If you could be explicit and explain what you tried and how it failed then you will get answers - but I don't have any examples that I am free to give out.