DataStage XE

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srekant
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage XE

Post by srekant »

Hi,

We want to connect to IMS from Information Server 8.0 and load/read data to IMS. Is there any way of doing it in 8.0

I came across a whitepaper where in it was mentioned that DataStage XE 's connectivity software available for read/write/delete from IMS.

How is XE different from Information server?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sree
Sree
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not "I came across a whitepaper", but please provide a link to the white paper. Otherwise we can't confirm what you claim.

XE stands for "extended edition" (if you like "with the lot"). If you search here you should find a post where Vince McBurney explained the various editions - or it may be in one of his blogs (I can't recall which it is).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

XE is no longer used as a product bundle name, even in the pre-8.x world. It was simply the Server product bundled with MetaStage.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Federation and/or Classic Federation are the preferred ways of doing this, for their integration with Information Server, although there are other connectivity solutions.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Federation and/or Classic Federation are the preferred ways of doing this, for their integration with Information Server, although there are other connectivity solutions.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
srekant
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srekant »

"Federation and/or Classic Federation are the preferred ways of doing this, for their integration with Information Server, although there are other connectivity solutions"

What i want to understand is how this Federation andClassic Federation stage works from information server.

To connect to IMS on mainframe do i need to install any software on mainframe or how is the communication going to happen.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
sree
Sree
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Classic Federation represents a category of tools often referred to as "gateways" or SQL gateways. These tools provide SQL access to legacy data on the mainframe, supporting things like IMS, VSAM, QSAM, ADABAS, Model204, and others. They indeed require software to be installed on zOS...generally speaking there is an address space there that has the low level access to IMS (or whatever the source may be), efficiently turning SQL statements into individual calls in assembler or othe rnative "tongue" of the database/file in question. Such gateways usually support TCP/IP and other protocols, along with ODBC or direct APIs for reaching them with remote client tooling (in this case, DataStage).

DataStage accesses these sources thru usual SQL fashion, usually ODBC or direct APIs. Special Stages exist for this connecivity. ...so IMS "looks" like any other releational database in DataStage's "eyes."

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
srekant
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srekant »

Thanks for your response.

So we need to have classic federation installed on mainframe and use the Classic Federation enterprise stage available with Information server to read and write data from IMS.

If my above understanding is correct then we are talking about license for classic federation on mainframe and license for Classic Federation enterprise stage available with Information server.

Is there any client required to be installed on the UNIX box where datastage is installed for Classic Federation enterprise stage to connect to
classic federation installed on mainframe.

Thanks,
Sree
Sree