Import Jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

just4u_sharath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Import Jobs

Post by just4u_sharath »

When i tried to import job through manager to TEST environment, i got the below error.
"Cannot get exclusive access to job 'jobname'".
How can i rectfy this. Can you please let me know whats happening in the backend
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Find out, perhaps by using the LIST.READU command, who has the job open. Ask them nicely to close it. If the lock is owned by a redundant process, use dsdlockd -p command to clean up.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Import Jobs

Post by veera24 »

just4u_sharath wrote:When i tried to import job through manager to TEST environment, i got the below error.
"Cannot get exclusive access to job 'jobname'".
How can i rectfy this. Can you please let me know whats happening in the backend
hi,
someone would've opened the job in the Director so better ask them to close it. Then it will work fine.
veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by veera24 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Find out, perhaps by using the LIST.READU command, who has the job open. Ask them nicely to close it. If the lock is owned by a redundant process, use dsdlockd -p command to clean up. ...
ray,
That problem aforementioned will be rectified by closing the job in the director itself right?And could u pls. explain how ur criteria will work?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Designer. And Ray is addressing the times when it isn't as simple as just closing the job in Designer.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Jobs can be open/locked in Manager, Designer, Director (log) or Director (Monitor) and from the operating system (dsjob or hack programs). The LIST.READU command allows you to find the culprit.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
virkravi2000
Participant

Post by virkravi2000 »

Hi Ray,

Kindly advice how to use the command LIST.READU. I was wondering if we need to develop a Datastage Server Routine and use this command as I was able to find LIST.READU command in BASIC Transformer Guide.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It takes a certain amount of experience to interpret the LIST.READU command output and it is not worth the time to do this. The damage you can do in a running environment with kill and UNLOCK using information gleaned from the LIST.READU and PORT.STATUS output is substantial.
In additional to the known and proven tools, once you get to V8 you can use IIS and quickly identify processes and stop them.
just4u_sharath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4u_sharath »

ArndW wrote:It takes a certain amount of experience to interpret the LIST.READU command output and it is not worth the time to do this. The damage you can do in a running environment with kill and UNLOCK using information gleaned from the LIST.READU and PORT.STATUS output is substantial.
In additional to the known and proven tools, once you get to V8 you can use IIS and quickly identify processes and stop them.
I am currenlty working on 7.5.2. Can you please let me know how can i use the LIST.READU command.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The command is easy, "LIST.READU EVERY" but the output is complex to interpret.

The best way to learn this is to download the UniVerse 10 documentation from the IBM website and locate the chapter describing the LIST.READU command.

Then you will most likely have to cross reference and learn about the different types of lock (record, group, exclusive, shared, etc.). Note that the user number is the DataStage number and that the PIDs which are longer than 5 digits are cut off at the left.

There is more involved than is good to explain here.
just4u_sharath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4u_sharath »

ArndW wrote:The command is easy, "LIST.READU EVERY" but the output is complex to interpret.

The best way to learn this is to download the UniVerse 10 documentation from the IBM website and locate the chapter describing the LIST.READU command.

Then you will most likely have to cross reference and learn about the different types of lock (record, group, exclusive, shared, etc.). Note that the user number is the DataStage number and that the PIDs which are longer than 5 digits are cut off at the left.

There is more involved than is good to explain here.
Thankyou
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A better fit is to download the UniVerse 9.6 documentation.

UniVerse 9.6 is the last release actually to have been used as the DataStage engine. There are things in UniVerse 10 that are not in DataStage.