Automatic Partitioning Not Working

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ds2000
Premium Member
Premium Member

Automatic Partitioning Not Working

Post by ds2000 »

Im using 6 datasets using Left Join stage. 3rd dataset is not joining properly. Join works fine if i use the Hash partitioning on 3rd dataset and mainstream data.

But then should i have to revert back hash partitioning to Automatic so that output can join properly to other remaining datasets. Please suggest.
santhu
Participant

Post by santhu »

As a pre-requisite to JOIN stage, the dataset data should be pre- hash partitioned and sorted on the JOIN key columns before they are fed to the JOIN stage.

If the data in the dataset is hash partitioned and sorted on JOIN keys in the previous job, then you can retain the same partitioning by setting Partitioning to "SAME" instead of "AUTO".

Hope this helps.
santhu
Participant

Post by santhu »

As a pre-requisite to JOIN stage, the dataset data should be pre- hash partitioned and sorted on the JOIN key columns before they are fed to the JOIN stage.

If the data in the dataset is hash partitioned and sorted on JOIN keys in the previous job, then you can retain the same partitioning by setting Partitioning to "SAME" instead of "AUTO".

Hope this helps.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Dump the score to learn what partitioning Auto actually gives you.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Nripendra Chand
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nripendra Chand »

just check whether 'APT_NO_PART_INSERTION' and 'APT_NO_SORT_INSERTION' env variables are disabled or not. These two variables decide whether auto partitioning and auto sorting should occur or not.

Thanks,
Nripendra
-Nripendra Chand
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A clarification, in view of the thread subject. The second of these environment variables governs whether tsort operators will be inserted, and has nothing at all to do with partitioning.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.