Reject records with referential integrity constraint

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dinthat
Participant

Reject records with referential integrity constraint

Post by dinthat »

Hi,

In my job I am inserting a set of records into Oracle table using Oracle Enterprise stage. But whenever a referential integrity constarint violation is ocuuring, the job gets aborting and showing FATAL ORA error in the Director. These records are not going into rejection link.

Is there any solution for handling referential integrity constrain in Oracle stage. I need to reject all such records.

Thanks in advance.

dinthat
hamzaqk
Participant

Post by hamzaqk »

Ther is an option in oracle stage ( dont remember which it was) which allows to soften such constraints before loading the data. Not sure why do you have these in the actual DWH in the first place!
dinthat
Participant

Post by dinthat »

Hi All,

Any idea about such an option in oracle stage? I am using upsert method to load data.

Thanks in advance,

dithat
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Why don't you use the reject link and handling builtin to the Oracle Enterprise stage?
dinthat
Participant

Post by dinthat »

Hi ArndW,

I am using rejectlink and the output reject record option in Oracle stage is set true also.

When a primary key violation is occuring, I am getting such records in reject link. But whenever a referential integrity constrain violation is occuring, I am not getting those records in reject link, but my job is aborting and showing FATAL ORA error in the Director log.

Thanks And Regards,

dinthat
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I now see what you mean. I'm surprised at that behaviour but am not at a site where I can check to see if it works the same way in my implementation. I would expect constraint violations to be caught in the reject link instead of causing a job abort.
dinthat
Participant

Post by dinthat »

Hi All,

Any workaround or solution for this strange problem? :(

Thanks And Regards,
dinthat
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Prevention. Verify within your job stream that no referential integrity issues occur.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dinthat
Participant

Post by dinthat »

Hi Ray,

I am doing the same in my jobs. Before inserting records into Oracle I am performing a lookup with the Reference table. So I can handle the referential integrity problem. But I am searching for a simpler solution. If we can reject all the referential integrity constrain violated records from the oracle Enterprise stage itself, then it could be a better solution.

Thanks And Regards,

dinthat.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It will never be a better solution.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dinthat
Participant

Post by dinthat »

Hi Ray,

Thank u for ur reply.

But why u r saying rejecting records in the target will never be a better solution? Will it slowdown the job. Since I am inserting 33 million records into target, in that records only 60 records are violating parent key constrain. So to identify this 60 record I am performing a lookup with two reference table. Can u pls guide me which will be the better method in this situation? Rejecting the 60 records in target side or performing a lookup with 33 million records? Which will increase the performance of my job?

Thanks And Regards,

dinthat
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Something has to verify the constraints. Leaving it to happen at load time means the database will do it. Doing it during transformation allows you to act on it. Either way, something is doing the verification. You're not saving anything, just doing it in a way that is more difficult to manage and slower because of the messaging and mechanisms involved.

By verifying constraints during transformation, you can supply default values. You can take an alternative derivation path. Sometimes really good warehouse architects allow for different default values to indicate why a column is populated with a default:

- source foreign key data was null
- source foreign key data was invalid
- source foreign key data exists but warehouse foreign key does not
- source foreign key data exists but warehouse foreign key row is not appropriate

The place to put these types of rules is the place where business rules are enforced - the transformation steps. Otherwise, you're embedding these rules in the loading SQL or writing stored procedures to load or you're building secondary DataStage jobs to process your reject files.

As Ray stated: It will never be a better solution.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
dinthat
Participant

Post by dinthat »

Thank u kcbland for a detailed explanation.

Anyway I handled the parent key violation using lookup. I am marking this topic as a workaround. But still I am searching for a solution to reject those records in target side...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That "solution" is to do nothing, and let the database handle it. You will, as a result, end up with warnings in the DataStage job log, or in a bulk loader's log file.

It will never be a better solution than prevention.
dinthat
Participant

Post by dinthat »

So the conclusion of this post is "Prevention is better than cure..." :wink:

Thank you all for ur valuable replies...
Thanks And Regards,
dinthat