ODBC Update and Delete Problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

And if you look at the test sequential file are all 8 records there as you expect? It is just that it is unlikely for the UPDATE to work correctly for some but not for other record contents so we are trying to eliminate possible error sources .
G SHIVARANJANI
Participant

Post by G SHIVARANJANI »

Yes the sequential file has all 8 as expected.

I could see the update and delete are double.

can it be becouse of two odbc definitions one being the replica of the
other...

As i am using one data source name (DSN1) for update , and there is one more datasource name which is refering to the same data base (DSN2)

ArndW wrote:And if you look at the test sequential file are all 8 records there as you expect? It is just that it is unlikely for the UPDATE to work correctly for some but not for other record contents so we are trying to eliminate possible error sources .
Shivaranjani
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

That is a likely source of the error. You hadn't mentioned 2 ODBC stages before, have you written so that you have one insert and one update stage?
G SHIVARANJANI
Participant

Post by G SHIVARANJANI »

Sorry for the delayed response.

I am doing only update in one job,

and this job has only one ODBC stage

which has property setting as:

Data source name : DSN1
Password: PWD
User: USR

we have deleted DSN2 now which was another alternative ODBC definition for the same database which DSN1 points to , but it did not resolve the problem.
ArndW wrote:That is a likely source of the error. You hadn't mentioned 2 ODBC stages before, have you written so that you have one insert and one update stage? ...
G SHIVARANJANI
Participant

Post by G SHIVARANJANI »

Hi,

Could any one address me the solution for the view of wrong log report

G SHIVARANJANI wrote:Sorry for the delayed response.

I am doing only update in one job,

and this job has only one ODBC stage

which has property setting as:

Data source name : DSN1
Password: PWD
User: USR

we have deleted DSN2 now which was another alternative ODBC definition for the same database which DSN1 points to , but it did not resolve the problem.
ArndW wrote:That is a likely source of the error. You hadn't mentioned 2 ODBC stages before, have you written so that you have one insert and one update stage? ...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's nothing wrong with your 'log report', and the way it works has been explained several times in the thread.

The log reports the number of records sent down the link, period. What happens inside the database is up to the database. There are no guarantees that the keys you've sent will actually update anything, and some databases don't consider an update that affects zero records as a problem.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers