Updating Dimension Table using SCD stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

basav_ds
Participant

Updating Dimension Table using SCD stage

Post by basav_ds »

Hi,
When we have only Dimesion source data,
Can we update only dimensional table without updating the fact table using Slowly Changing Dimension Stage?
Or is it mandatory to load fact table too?
I never let school to interfere in my education
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Your "fact table" can be the file NUL (which will eat, and discard, all the rows you append to it). However, be really, really certain that what you say is true. Factless dimensions are extremely rare things, and suggest that something has been overlooked in the design phase - what are they dimensions for? "Factless fact tables" certainly are valid constructs, perhaps to record that some combination of dimension values has occurred without their being any form of measure associated with the combination, but "factless dimensions" just rings alarm bells for me.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Can a Factless dimension contain a list of values that are possible attributes of some other dimension??
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Typically that is ALL that a factless fact table contains. A set of foreign keys to dimensions; the combination of those foreign keys effectively forms the primary key of the fact table.

A factless fact table records that some combination of dimension values occurred. There are no measures. For example a combination of time, employee and customer dimensions might record the fact that the employee visited the customer - this might be a VISITS fact table. No other information is required. Counts of visits grouped by time, employee or customer can be created in reporting tools.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Updating Dimension Table using SCD stage

Post by John Smith »

[quote="basav_ds"]Hi,
When we have only Dimesion source data,
Can we update only dimensional table without updating the fact table using Slowly Changing Dimension Stage?
Or is it mandatory to load fact table too?[/quote

You can just load your dimension tables first but make sure you have proper timestamping (e.g valid time and/or transaction time) in your dimension tables. When you are ready to load you fact table then you need to make sure your fact record links to the "correct" dimension record. Do some research on temporal data in data warehouses.