Creating Job Sequence number

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mujeebrahman
Participant

Creating Job Sequence number

Post by mujeebrahman »

Hi,

I need to create a unique sequence number for a job. If I run the job at a particular instant of time say today, it should have a sequence number and if I run the same job again after some time say tomorrow, then it should have a new sequence number.

Do anybody have any idea how to create the sequence number for a job?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The easiest way is to invoke either of the SDK key management routines from a Routine activity in the job sequence you are using to control the job, and to pass the result to the job as a job parameter value.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mujeebrahman
Participant

Post by mujeebrahman »

Thanks Ray for your immediate reply.

I think your are talking about the Sequence jobs.In sequence jobs, this SDK key managent routines are there under trigger options. But I think that is for conditions for the sequence to run successfully.

Actually what I want to do is to load the sequence number of each job in a table called Control table in Database.This table will also contain the information about each job like the start date, status of the job,row count etc.This is solely for the audit purpose.

It will be great if anybody have any suggestions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You misinterpreted what I suggested. These SDK routines can equally be called from a Routine activity. Try it.

An additional job somewhere in the sequence can look after updating your audit table, once the actual job has finished.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.