LAST DATE OF A MONTH

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mcs@rajesh
Participant

LAST DATE OF A MONTH

Post by mcs@rajesh »

HI

Month_date is the one of the column in my source which contains only the name of the month for ex"January"."March"....
I need to get the last date of these months
for ex "January"="2008-01-31" likewise i need to calculate the last date for all the mont in the similar fashion.
Guide me if this can be achieved in DS.

Thank you
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

TIME dimension works great (really the TIME subject area). A DATE grain table, a MONTH grain table, a QUARTER grain table, and a YEAR grain. You can reverse lookup on month name and year to the MONTH table. Your month table would have many attributes describing the month, which probably should include the last day in the month as a date.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
crouse
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by crouse »

or, find the first day of the next month and subtract 1.

(And as Ken mentions, this would be good meta data to have in your Date/Time dimension, since you don't want each developer coming up with his/her own way of deriving it, if possible)
Craig Rouse
Griffin Resouces, Inc
www.griffinresources.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

LastDayCurrentMonth, FirstDayNextMonth, ThisDayNextMonth, LastDayLastMonth, FirstDayLastMonth, ThisDayLastMonth are all good columns to have in a time dimension table.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.