Startup and Production Run Time

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ravij
Premium Member
Premium Member

Startup and Production Run Time

Post by ravij »

Hi,

After Running the successfully when see the log there is one info displayed like

main_program: Startup Time 0:01 Production Run Time 0:00

In the above one what is Startup Time and Production Run Time?

Any assistance can be appriciated
RK
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Startup time includes all the time needed to get the conductor and section leader processes started and may - I'm not 100% sure on this - include time for the job to reach a status of Running on all nodes.

Production run time is that period between when the first operator begins and the final operator finishes. It should include time required to execute any before-job and after-job subroutines but, again, I'm not 100% certain.

I note your job style is server, yet you've posted on the parallel jobs forum. My reply is for parallel jobs, but can be generalized to server jobs (remove references to "all nodes"). I suspect (from the reference to "main_program") that yours is a parallel job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,

Well tuned system would have Startup time less than 30 sec.
The job having the Startup time greater thatn 30 sec need to looked up.
It shows the sever is overwhelmed with load. Probably the Number of jobs in the sequencers/Batch at a time(if called) can be reduced.

-Kumar
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

Is there any parameter that I need to set to true to get these information in Directory. Because, I dont get this log information at all.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

No it is available by default. If you require, you can turn on APT_STARTUP_STATUS.
But it is just additional startup message about section leader and player etc.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'