[b]shall we use the peek stage as a target[/b]

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

fareeda_b
Participant

[b]shall we use the peek stage as a target[/b]

Post by fareeda_b »

shall we use the peek stage as a target
Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you like. It's a good technique when incrementally developing a job. The Peek stage will eat all the rows you send to it, and send a sample of them to events in the job log.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
fareeda_b
Participant

not getting exactly

Post by fareeda_b »

not getting exactly.
Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Peek stage is intended to capture a sample of rows. If used as a target with no output link, all it can do is to capture that sample. It will write those few records into entries in the job log.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
juliank
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: not getting exactly

Post by juliank »

fareeda_b wrote:not getting exactly.
There isn't really antyhing that needs to be added to Ray's posts, but let me try from a newbie perspective...

I just started using DataStage and finding the Peek stage very helpfull when developing jobs in steps. Say, if you start from left and don't know what will be exactly to the right, just use a Peek stage and the data will get 'dumped' into it. Then add more, and you can still continue to utilize the Peek stage until at some point you will replace it with the actual target, or targets if you use several Peek stages. It is only a development 'utility' and you don't need to worry about columns/datatypes or anything like that. You can check what was 'dumped' in a Director log.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

It works well, although I prefer to use a DataSet instead. I like staying always in the Designer and using view data....but it (Peek) is nice, and easy to "drop in" to the job anywhere.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I prefer the "view data" of a dataset over a peek, but will use a peek stage when I want to view interim data, i.e. when the peek stage needs to be put into the processing stream and has both an input and an output.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

While still developing I prefer a sequential file stage if I need View Data capability - they're easier to dispose of afterwards.

As a stub I often use a Copy stage with no outputs - it eats rows beautifully and makes zero copies of them.