datastage, db2 remote connectivity

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

2ksaint
Participant

datastage, db2 remote connectivity

Post by 2ksaint »

hi,

I have ds server and db2 in unix server and i have ds client in windows xp.

1. Do i need to configure db2 files or ds files like dsenv,db2profile,default.apt

2. How to create dsn what we do in windows for connecting db2 using odbc in unix.

3. What are all the Environmental variables that i need to add(in detail or give some sample screenshot)

Note: I gone through db2 remote connectivity for ds Article in IBM, but that is not very clear.

Someone please give me step by step procedure that will help us in learning as well as implementing it on the server.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you done everything in that document? It's as clear as anything you're going to get here.

DataStage is, as far as DB2 is concerned, just another client application.

Therefore, DB2 client software must be configured on the server machine.

If you plan to use ODBC, then you also have to set up an ODBC DSN, which involves editing .odbc.ini and the uvodbc.config files in projects.

Configuration files only require reference to db2 node pools or disk pools if you intend to use them.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
2ksaint
Participant

Post by 2ksaint »

ray i would like to explain in more specific.

DS server and db2 enterprise installed on the same unix server which is located at one place. Ds client and db2 client installed in same pc which has windows xp.

Now I need to create dsn through odbc in order to take db2.

Usually we do by going to contl panel-admin tools-datasource odbc and then configure db2, so that while taking db2 udb stage we can get the tables.

Now my question is

Do i also need to install DB2 client in the Server or it is ok in installing in windows xp machine so that i can create dsn in my local machine and then give the server name and then create dsn
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

2ksaint wrote:Do i also need to install DB2 client in the Server
Yes.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A running DataStage job is just another client application as far as DB2 is concerned.

You do not need to set up ODBC unless you are planning to access DB2 using ODBC protocol - for example via the ODBC Enterprise stage.

You do need, irrespective of how you will be connecting to DB2 from DataStage, to have DB2 client software installed co-resident with the DataStage engine software (and, if that's the parallel engine in a multi-machine configuration, that means on each of those machines).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
2ksaint
Participant

Post by 2ksaint »

thanks chulett,

But i havent installed db2 client in aix machine, i have it on windows machine. Since i have it on windows machine, will i be not able to view the database in the server?

Since db2 client is installed on windows machine, i will be having db2 driver, so using that, i will not be able to create dsn and then communicate?

Because we currently do not have db2 client for aix machine.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

2ksaint wrote:I havent installed db2 client in aix machine, i have it on windows machine. Since i have it on windows machine, will i be not able to view the database in the server?
Yes, you will not be able to.
2ksaint then wrote:Since db2 client is installed on windows machine, i will be having db2 driver, so using that, i will not be able to create dsn and then communicate?
On your workstation PC? No, at least not with DataStage.
2ksaint lastly wrote:Because we currently do not have db2 client for aix machine.
Sure you do.
-craig

2ksaint
Participant

Post by 2ksaint »

thanks chulett,

I will check and let you know. In the mean time im not able to connect to datastage server through datastage client (windows XP).

Im getting error "Failed to connect to host:"ip address" poject:UV (The connection was refused or the RPC dameon is not running(81016))
2ksaint
Participant

Post by 2ksaint »

thanks chulett,

I will check and let you know. In the mean time im not able to connect to datastage server through datastage client (windows XP).

Im getting error "Failed to connect to host:"ip address" poject:UV (The connection was refused or the RPC dameon is not running(81016))
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

New (and completely unrelated) problem = new post.
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

-craig