Oracle Connectivity from windows server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Madhavan VM
Participant

Oracle Connectivity from windows server

Post by Madhavan VM »

Hello,

I am trying to establish Oracle connectivity in DataStage installed on windows server. Please find below the details:

1. DataStage is installed on a virtual server, windows 2003 server.
2. Oracle is installed on a different server (111.11.1.1), windows 2003 server.

I have given the following values in DataStage administrator:

1. ORACLE_HOME=\\111.11.1.1/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1
2. ORACLE_SID=test
3. Added the bin path to the variable PATH: C:/IBM/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/bin;\\111.11.1.1/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/BIN
4. Made sure that APT_ORCHHOME/bin is before ORACLE_HOME/bin
5. Added lib path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH:C:\IBM\SQLLIB\lib;\\111.11.1.1/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/LIB

When I tried viewing data using Oracle enterprise stage, I got the error as below:

##I IIS-DSEE-TOSH-00002 13:13:39(001) <main_program> orchgeneral: loaded
##I IIS-DSEE-TOSH-00002 13:13:39(002) <main_program> orchsort: loaded
##I IIS-DSEE-TOSH-00002 13:13:39(003) <main_program> orchstats: loaded
##W IIS-DSEE-TOSH-00049 13:13:39(004) <main_program> Parameter specified but not used in flow: DSProjectMapName
>##E IIS-DSEE-TOSH-00205 13:13:40(000) <main_program> PATH search failure:
>##E IIS-DSEE-TFOG-00006 13:13:40(001) <main_program>Error loading "liborchoraclent": Could not load "liborchoraclent": The specified module could not be found.
>##E IIS-DSEE-TOSH-00384 13:13:40(002) <main_program> Could not locate operator definition, wrapper, or Unix command for "oraread"; please check that all needed libraries are preloaded, and check the PATH for the wrappers
>##E IIS-DSEE-TCOS-00029 13:13:40(003) <main_program> Creation of a step finished with status = FAILED.
>

I searched in dsxchange , but, could not find a post explaining "liborchoraclent" . I could find a similar error for "liborchoracle" and I thought installing this would solve my issue. Hence, I followed the approach given in the thread by Istsaur: viewtopic.php?t=103287&highlight=orchoracle

1. cd C:\IBM\InformationServer\Server\PXEngine\install
2. ORACLE_HOME="\\111.11.1.1/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1"
3. export ORACLE_HOME
4. APT_ORCHHOME="C:\IBM\InformationServer\Server\PXEngine"
5. export APT_ORCHHOME
6. sh install.liborchoracle

I could see that there was no file called "install.liborchoracle" under C:\IBM\InformationServer\Server\PXEngine\install; But, was present under C:\IBM\InformationServer\Server\DSComponents\install. I copied this file to C:\IBM\InformationServer\Server\PXEngine\install and ran the step 6. It installed driver for 10g. Still, I am having the same error for "liborchoraclent" as above.

I could also see that there is a file, liborchoraclent.dll under C:\IBM\InformationServer\Server\DSComponents\bin.

Would anyone be able to help me understand where I have gone wrong in establishing connectivity :?:

Appreciate your help. :)
warm regards,
Ajith GK
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As far as I know, you must install an Oracle client on the same server as DataStage, you cannot have it on a remote server and then reference the UNC path and expect it to work. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Madhavan VM
Participant

Post by Madhavan VM »

Thank you Craig for your response!

To all dsxchange members,
Is there a different view than expressed by Craig for my question?

Appreciate your time and the reponse.
warm regards,
Ajith GK
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Craig has been working with DataStage and Oracle since nineteen mumble mumble. Who are we to counter his sage words?

I am currently working on such a configuration (with the Oracle client software co-resident with DataStage server) and it's perfectly happy. It's not broken, so I have no intention of fixing it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The final say-so would need to come from your official Support provider - ask them if there is a way to make that work.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Ajith,
Is possible for you to get an Oracle client installed on the DataStage server? After that's done, then follow the steps that I provied will solve your problem.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Ajith,
Is possible for you to get an Oracle client installed on the DataStage server? After that's done, then follow the steps that I provied will solve your problem.
Madhavan VM
Participant

Post by Madhavan VM »

Hello All,

My replies were never meant to cast a doubt on some of the best consultants in DataStage. But, as Einstein said; "The brave Swabian wouldnt' be afraid"; in breaking the established principles to seek the truth, whatever that may be.

I was looking for a path to establish the truth, if it is, by treading a different territory.

I feel honoured and priviliged to be a part of the prominent community.
warm regards,
Ajith GK