What is the future of the Sever jobs?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pimmit22043
Participant

What is the future of the Sever jobs?

Post by pimmit22043 »

I have heard that server jobs will not be supported by IBM in future release ?

Anybody has any information related to this please share us.

We have parallel and server; currently we are developing jobs in server because we did not get the access to oracle sys table to setup the Oracle EE. The above answer will help us getting the access to sys tables.

Any other stage we can use for Oracle apart from ODBC or Oracle EE with out getting the sys table access?

Thanks
RN
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Where did you hear this? It is completely untrue.

At both of the last two Information on Demand conferences this question was put to Keith Kohl, worldwide product manager for DataStage, who asserted that server jobs will continue to be supported indefinitely into the future.

Given that job sequences are themselves server jobs, this statement has added veracity. The main motivator, of course, is the millions of server jobs that already exist "out there".

A lot of fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) as to the future of server jobs has been put about by sales people, who (a) get a much greater recognition (= commission) for selling Enterprise Edition, and (b) get more recognition for selling conversion services. I undertand that the word has gone out within IBM to cease this practice, but resellers might not feel so constrained.

As a famous detective once put it: "follow the money".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pimmit22043
Participant

Post by pimmit22043 »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your time vaule information.

Any other stage we can use for Oracle apart from ODBC or Oracle EE with out getting the sys table access?

Thanks
RN
-RK