Log retrieve

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

just4u_sharath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Log retrieve

Post by just4u_sharath »

When i was running a job, i got an error. After making chages and running job again for 5 or 6 times, no error found. But the log which showed the error is gone. I would like to look into that error. Can i retrieve the error in any way
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

By "gone" do you mean automatically purged? In that case, the answer is no - it's gone forever.

You might be able to retrieve the log hashed file from system backups and work your way through that, but it would be a tedious process.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Perhaps 'gone' just means 'outside of the current Filter limits'. Do you have a limit on the number of log records you can display? Does the Director show (Filtered) in the status line?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
just4u_sharath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4u_sharath »

chulett wrote:Perhaps 'gone' just means 'outside of the current Filter limits'. Do you have a limit on the number of log records you can display? Does the Director show (Filtered) in the status line?
No i mean log is purged. So if purged i can get the log back only through System Backups. Am i right
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, but... Do you have the skills to restore the hashed file to a separate location, create a VOC pointer to it there, and use SQL to inspect it?

Overwriting a hashed file with one of a different structure on backup media is a Bad Idea, and can lead to corruption.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.