NLS parameter no found!

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

NLS parameter no found!

Post by dspxlearn »

Hi,

We had the copy of Datastage installed few months back on the Unix server.I could not see the NLS settings either on the Datastage administrator or the NLS_LANG environment variable. I could not find anything related to this in the DSxchage forums. :(

In the dsenv file i found the below settings commented as below. Just curious if this is anything related to my issue :?

#LANG="<langdef>";export LANG
#LC_ALL="<langdef>";export LC_ALL
#LC_CTYPE="<langdef>";export LC_CTYPE
#LC_COLLATE="<langdef>";export LC_COLLATE
#LC_MONETARY="<langdef>";export LC_MONETARY
#LC_NUMERIC="<langdef>";export LC_NUMERIC
#LC_TIME="<langdef>";export LC_TIME
#LC_MESSAGES="<langdef>"; export LC_MESSAGES

#LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lwp:$DSHOME/java/jre/lib/sparc/client:$DSHOME/java/jre/lib/sparc:`dirname $DSHOME`/branded_odbc/lib:$DSHOME/lib:/detld2/etl/cduser/cdunix/ndm/lib:$DSHOME/uvdlls:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Thanks for reading!!
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The commented-out lines are OK and are even commented out in correct NLS installations. If you login to the admin program as DS administrator and the NLS is greyed out then you don't have NLS installed and the NLS parameter are not used.
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: NLS parameter no found!

Post by sud »

Is NLS installed?
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dspxlearn »

Hi ArndW,

I don't have administrator roles to login into it and see the options. I just have developer Privileges on the project. I don't see any of those NLS tabs on it when connected to it.

Thanks for your time!!
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

There are other ways to find out if NLS is installed, if you develop a job and the NLS options are greyed out then it most likely isn't installed. I'm not at a DS system now to find a specific example but chances are very high that you don't have NLS installed. Does your dsenv file set NLS_PATH? If not then you don't have NLS? Oh, I remember now, from UNIX do a "$DSHOME/bin/smat -t | GREP NLS" and there should be a line reading NLS = 0 or NLS = 1
dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dspxlearn »

Thanks ArndW,

I learnt new thing from your post. :)
There is no tunnable parameter setting for NLS. There is no output line for NLS with the command. So, is it that the NLS is not installed?

Thankyou very much.
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

There will be an NLS line in the "smat -t" command. If the value is 0 then no NLS, if the value is 1 then NLS is installed.
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

ArndW wrote:There will be an NLS line in the "smat -t" command. If the value is 0 then no NLS, if the value is 1 then NLS is installed.
For me it is not installed and there is no line in there.
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dspxlearn »

ArndW,

Seems, even if this parameter is NLS=0 or not present in the list, i guess NLS is not installed...
:o
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

Regarding that it is not installed, there should not be a shred of doubt since it is greyed out.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Sud - it is greyed out in the administrator in many places if you are not the admin user even when NLS is installed.
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

ArndW wrote:Sud - it is greyed out in the administrator in many places if you are not the admin user even when NLS is installed.
Agreed. But in the stages in designer if there is no NLS tab that should mean not installed, isn't it? Or can the use be turned off from admin even if it is installed?