Anyone else with Netezza and DataStage?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shawn_ramsey
Participant

Anyone else with Netezza and DataStage?

Post by shawn_ramsey »

All,

We are running Netezza with DataStage and want to get a better feel for how many other folks are in the same boat. Considering the number of issues we are seeing with the Netezza plug-in I feel like we are the only ones running the plug-in.
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Search for the word Netezza. I think there are a couple of posts besides yours out there. You will find a hand full to be in the same boat as you.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Post by shawn_ramsey »

DSguru2B wrote:Search for the word Netezza. I think there are a couple of posts besides yours out there. You will find a hand full to be in the same boat as you.
Thanks for the advice. I did search and sent a personal message to the only other poster that mentioned Netezza (besides those looking for skills).
Shawn Ramsey

-- Douglas Adams
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

What is Netezza?
Mamu Kim
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

They do data warehouse appliances, so obviously a good match for DataStage. They list Ascential, Informatica and Sunopsis as partners. I think they have had a booth at a couple AscentialWorlds.
tostay2003
Participant

Post by tostay2003 »

Hi shawn_ramsey,
We are running Netezza with DataStage and want to get a better feel for how many other folks are in the same boat. Considering the number of issues we are seeing with the Netezza plug-in I feel like we are the only ones running the plug-in.
Hi we as well are using Netezza with DataStage. We had plug-in problems with Ascential 7.5.1(Server). So far heard that it works with Ascential 7.5.2 (Parallel Extender). Are you facing problems with 7.5.2 or any other version.

Regards
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Post by shawn_ramsey »

Tostay2003,

Can you send me a private message (or post it if you like) with your contact information? I want to start to build a network of folks using this combination of tools so that we can exchange notes on issues and workarounds.

Is there a server version of the stage? I was told that they just had one for the parallel and since our plan is to only use the parallel I never bothered looking.

In regards to the issues that we have ran into. We have found five significant issues with the plug-in and were beginning to wonder how much testing had gone into it. Since I had originally posted this message IBM has fixed 3 of them and have indicated that we will see the other 2 issues patched next week.
Shawn Ramsey

-- Douglas Adams
sac_bansal
Participant

Re: Anyone else with Netezza and DataStage?

Post by sac_bansal »

Hi Shawn,

My project is going to implement DataStage with Netezza.

Since you guys have already started with the task, if would be great if you can answer the following queries:-

1. Does DataStage come with an ODBC driver, Native driver or a plug-in for Netezza?

2. Depending on the data load, what would be better a parallel job or a server job for Netezza?

We would be using DataStage Enterprise Edition 7.5.

Thanks,
Sachin

shawn_ramsey wrote:All,

Thanks,
Sachin Bansal
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Sachin,
Netezza Enterprise Stage can be used only for parallel job. This stage allows you to load bulk data to Netezza Performance Server 8000 (NPS). If you want to use default load method (nzload), then you must also install either ODBC or JDBC Netezza client.
attu
Participant

Post by attu »

Hi,
we are using Netezza NPS 4.0 with datastage EE 7.5.2.
I have some questions:
what is the latest netezza enterprise stage plug in version ?
What is the Performance of Netezza wrt WRITE and READ operations from/into Netezza using 7.5.2 ?

Thanks
attu
Participant

Post by attu »

shawn_ramsey wrote:Tostay2003,

Can you send me a private message (or post it if you like) with your contact information? I want to start to build a network of folks using this combination of tools so that we can exchange notes on issues and workarounds.

Is there a server version of the stage? I was told that they just had one for the parallel and since our plan is to only use the parallel I never bothered looking.

In regards to the issues that we have ran into. We have found five significant issues with the plug-in and were beginning to wonder how much testing had gone into it. Since I had originally posted this message IBM has fixed 3 of them and have indicated that we will see the other 2 issues patched next week.
Hi Shawn,
what were the issues you guys found using plug in stage?
are you guys using 7.5.2 or 7.5.3?
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Post by shawn_ramsey »

attu wrote: Hi Shawn,
what were the issues you guys found using plug in stage?
are you guys using 7.5.2 or 7.5.3?
We have ran into several challenges with the Netezza Stage which mostly revolve around how differently Netezza works. IBM has done quite a bit of work on the stage based on our feedback and now that others are using the combination of these tools. The new release has added the ability to bulk unload and bulk update within the stage. There are still a few quirks that they are working on but these new features seem to be pretty stable.

Unfortunately the latest version of the stage is built for DataStage 8 and you would have to request them to back port to 7.5.2.
Shawn Ramsey

-- Douglas Adams
attu
Participant

Post by attu »

Hi Shawn,
Thanks for the info. I have a question When a record is rejected during the load, no log entry is listed in the DataStage job log file so there is no indication that anything was rejected, what's the solution for this problem?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have DataStage check the Netezza load log, for example in an after-job subroutine or in a job sequence downstream of the Job activity.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Post by shawn_ramsey »

ray.wurlod wrote:Have DataStage check the Netezza load log, for example in an after-job subroutine or in a job sequence downstream of the Job activity. ...
At this point we have it fail and look at the logs manually. Ray's suggestion is an option but the logs only exist on the DataStage server if you use the nzload option, the External Table option drops the logs to the Netezza host node which is going to be more of a challenge to get at.

This is still an issue with us and we have put a request for better feedback in the DataStage logs. It does help if more than one company requests enhancement, so please get a case logged for enhancements.
Shawn Ramsey

-- Douglas Adams