the columns do not propagate

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

aschand
Participant

the columns do not propagate

Post by aschand »

HI

the columns are not propagating ... everything seems to be OK.... other than datatype mismatch... where in source has varchar(255) and target has Nvarchar(50)

please can any one let me know this

and if it is the problem then what fuction should i be using to convert varchar to Nvarchar ?

or where all should i be doing the changes
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Could you explain more on what were you trying to do?
Are you trying to propagate the column using RuntimeColumn propagation? Is the Varchar automatically getting changed to Nvarchar??
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
aschand
Participant

Post by aschand »

Yes... Before i had erros while compiling saying Implicit conversion from string to Ustring... and so... but now there no errors...

the target is the table in SQL Server and the source is Spread sheet in Sequential file

the data is not getting processed from source to target... i can view the data in source but not in target after running the job

thanks
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

What is the job desing? How the transformation is made? How propagation done? Drag drop columns or using RCP? Any change in input/output datatypes?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
aschand
Participant

Post by aschand »

I just drag the respective columns from source to target.... varchar in source to Nvarchar in target got changed automatically... no complilation errors

But when i run the data is getting processed...

and one morething is when i right click the transformer i cannot see the target link name that is poping when from source column link

1.right click transformer
2.propagate columns
3. we will be able to see first the incoming link to the transformer
4. from incoming link to out going link...BUT THIS OUT GOING LINK IM UNABLE TO SEE...

So my confusion what change do i have to do inorder to propagate columns... I checked RCP but no use... it still the same problem

Please help me with this

sO
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

If a varchar column is dragged from input to outpout link, it wont chage its datatype.
How many Output link has been connected to Transformer?
If you right click, what does, Output link shows??
If you go to Input links, the output links is disabled or not at all found??
aschand
Participant

Post by aschand »

Now there are no compilation errors but the data is not getting into the target

Thanks
Srichandana
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

How many records are extraced from source? How many been trasfered to source? You can find this using Job Monitor. How are you viewing the data of the output? Is there any datatype change in Transformer? Any Null data fed to Not Null columns?
aschand
Participant

Post by aschand »

my job design is like this.

I have 6 sequential files joined together using join stage and then from there it is loaded in a sequential file .... it ran perfectly

when i removed the sequential file and placed a transformer(in place of sequential file and then to a Sql server enterprise the data is not loading... in the job monitor it it is showing 0 rows/sec thats it.

where can be the mistake.... no compilation errors at all

thanks
aschand
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Eliminate possibilities. Remove the connection to database, replace it with a Sequential File stage or a Peek stage. Are rows getting out of the Transformer stage?

If so, then you can replace the database stage and narrow the focus of your diagnosis to that. You can even use the data in the sequential file that you have just generated to test whether the generated values are legal.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.