Job Status = 3 (Abort)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Job Status = 3 (Abort)

Post by Raftsman »

I have a sequence job with two jobs, ie.

Job1 ====> Job2

Exception =====> Termination (Stop Sequence)

I wanted to test the exception abort routine and entered an incorrect File name in Job 1 so that it would abort. It did. The problem I face is, Job2 started and finished and the sequence ended normally.

Does someone know why the sequence didn't stop before starting Job 2. I think it's because the sequence did react quick enough to catch the abort.

I also tried to enter a condition in the trigger which worked and Job 2 did not execute but still the sequence did not end abnormally.

Has anyone else encountered this.

Thanks,
Jim Stewart
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

What was the trigger to Job2??
Is it Otherwise?? And you want to act Exception handler parallely?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

There is no trigger in Job 2. Last Job in the sequence.

Not sure what you mean about the Exception Handler parallel, Could you please clarify
Jim Stewart
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

I was asking Trigger from Job1 to Job2. And the other one that I was mentioning is the Exception Activity. How do you expect it to trigger.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

First, the trigger in Job 1 is unconditional.

Second, normally when an abort occurs in any job, the exception handling module get initiated which in turn initiates the termination module.

We didn't want to attach error handling in all Jobs of a sequence. From the documentation, we were able to make a generic error routine.

Is this the case???
Jim Stewart
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Does log shows that Exception Handler been executed? What is the settings in Terminator stage? Like, "Send stop signal to All running jobs / Abort without sending Stop signal"?
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

The exception handler is not getting initiated and my colleagues and I figure that the the subsequent job is getting fired off before the exception handler is hit. The subsequent job finished normally and takes over the initial exception.

One solution is to put a Terminator stage on all jobs. This ensures that the job reports the abort.

Any thoughts??
Jim Stewart
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Job1 needs an OK trigger or a Custom trigger, one that does not handle Failure (an Unconditional trigger does "handle" failure). When Job1 aborts, the Exception Handler should fire, provided that the "automatically handle activities that fail" check box in job properties is checked.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Ray,

I have tried many thing and the exception handler doesn't fire. I tried setting the trigger and still it didn't work. I put Terminate stages to handle the Abort and it works. I still thing the second job causes confusion in the sequence. If I run one job it works.
Jim Stewart
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please verify that "automatically handle activities that fail" is checked and, when it is, re-compile just to make sure. Let us know (I'm sure you will).
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Yes it is checked. I changed my design. There was a flaw in how the calling program received the abort. It did not catch it. It's works now.

I thought the forum was to be informative. Why the wisecrack "I'm sure you will" Like everyone in this forum, we try and learn from others. I respect your input, hopefully I can return the favor.

Sorry if my feedback offend you. It's not meant to be.
Jim Stewart
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sorry you misinterpreted my intention - it was acknowledging that you are diligent in helping us to help you. Not everyone is.