Ulimit problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DWH-M
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DWH-M »

ArndW wrote:Would you be able to get someone with root login to try logging into DataStage at your workstation and test the runtime limit? Also, could you try the following from UNIX

Code: Select all

cd $DSHOME
. ./dsenv
bin/dssh          {This will put you into the DS shell}
SH -c "ulimit -a"
QUIT               {This will bring you back out to your shell}
Is the ulimit still unlimited inside the DS command environment?
Hi ArndW,

The ulimit -a for fileblocks for the user dsadm is unlimited in DS command environment, but the DS director log shows 2GB limit. Should i try to run the job with root user?

Thanks!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I'm at a loss to explain this, my assumption is that process spawned off user "1" inherit some ulimit settings and that the solution is make sure that the root process has unlimited settings. I have a vague memory of having seen this issue years ago but cannot recall any of the details apart from the fact that playing with smitty solved it (after days of troubles).
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I would check with your support provider. I just looked through the list of bugs fixed in DataStage V8 Fix Pack 1 and one of them is "Solaris version of ds.rc uses ulimit setting" which can open up speculation that this might be a similar issue to what you are seeing on AIX.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

chulett wrote:At some point soon here, I would think you'd be better served by opening a case with your official Support provider rather than continuing to thrash here.
Thrash, thrash. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DWH-M
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DWH-M »

ArndW wrote:I would check with your support provider. I just looked through the list of bugs fixed in DataStage V8 Fix Pack 1 and one of them is "Solaris version of ds.rc uses ulimit setting" which can open up speculation that this might be a similar issue to what you are seeing on AIX.
Hi ArndW,

Due to lack of choices, I tried restarting the AIX box and now it works fine. :o

Thanks!