Parallel Jobs with Transforms Require C++ Compiler

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gsbrown
Premium Member
Premium Member

Parallel Jobs with Transforms Require C++ Compiler

Post by gsbrown »

Engine software requirements
For the transform feature of the parallel canvas to function properly, a C++ compiler must be installed on the computer where you install the engine before you install the suite. The parallel canvas requires that the compiler and SDK are installed in their default locations. The following compilers are supported on Windows:

Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003 Version 7.1 or later
This compiler is available on Microsoft Developer Network library releases. The APT_COMPILEOPT and APT_LINKOPT environment variables must be changed for this compiler after you install the suite. You can find instructions for changing these environment variables in the release notes. For the most recent version of the release notes, go to www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27009061.
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005 C++
This compiler is the default for the transform operator. This compiler is currently available for purchase from Microsoft.
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005 Express Edition C++
This compiler is a free version of the .NET 2005 compiler with reduced functionality. This compiler is available at msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/download.
You must also download the Microsoft Platform SDK for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express for transforms to work. The SDK is available at msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk.
The Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005 compilers require and will install the .NET 2.0 framework
I read this in the IBM Information Server release notes. We have never used the parallel engine as it's brand new to us in this new 8.0 version (migrating from server 7.5.1 version). We'd like to explore parallel job design, but wasn't sure which C++ compiler to go with.

Can anyone share experiences with each of those and make recommendations? What is "reduced functionality" if we go with the Express Edition; what is lost?

Any feedback would be great!

Greg
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

You should first search the forum as there has been many discussion on this subject.

As for you question, no functionality loss. The compiler works well.
Jim Stewart
gsbrown
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gsbrown »

The "reduced functionality" was my only concern and it's not implicit if that applies to the compiler. I can understand the reduced functionality in the Visual Studio product without as robust development tools (if that's what "reduced functionality" is referring to)

I didn't want to make a big mistake since reinstalling a C++ compiler means reinstalling the entire IBM Information Server.

Sounds like I would be safe going with the Express Edition.