Issue reading Oracle NUMBER datatype column

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hiteshm
Participant

Issue reading Oracle NUMBER datatype column

Post by hiteshm »

I have a simple parallel job which is reading an Oracle table and via a transformer stage to load a Netezza table using the Netezza enterprise.

The issue I'm having is that the job is raising warnings when Oracle stage is reading a NUMBER datatype column. The job is raising the following warning :-

OSO_OPPORTUNITY_DETAILS: Column LEAD_ID floating point decimal is not fully supported; adjusting the scale.

I've tried to re import the meta data, and also tried to change the datatype once it has been imported, but am unable to get rid of the warning.

When I import the column, the Datastage type is decimal(38,10).

I don't believe the target table is causing a problem, but for reference the target columns is specified has numeric(18,0).

This warning appears in several jobs with the same issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This is a good example of why you should try Searching before posting. This issue has been around for a long time and every single developer who has used floating point columns has seen this message in the log files.

It comes because internally the EE product does not fully support the complete range of floating point and that it is changing the scale. I don't know the internals of this part but assume it has to do with some nonstandard representation of the exponent and mantissa and that there might be some rounding differences but have never seen an actual problem.

The most common solution is to deprecate the warning message to an informational one or even to suppress the message using the message handler.
hiteshm
Participant

Post by hiteshm »

ArndW, thank you for the quick response.

It sounds like this is a know issue. Just to verify I need to create a message handler to demote the warning message to informational.

Is there another way to surpress the warning without creating a message handler?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, the warning will always occur and you need to create a job or project level handler if you wish to deprecate/demote or suppress the warning.