VARCHAR converting to NVARCHAR

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sreeramkumart
Participant

VARCHAR converting to NVARCHAR

Post by sreeramkumart »

Hi,

When i am using Run Time Column propagation, all the columns having data type VARCHAR are converting to NVARCHAR. I do not want to convert the datatype.

I need to stop this in job level not in administrator level. Is it possible? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Sreeram
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

How is the Metadata defined for these columns in the sources and the targets of the job?
sreeramkumart
Participant

Post by sreeramkumart »

We are giving the table name in Read method in Oracle Stage and not defining any columns expecting it will pick all the columns of the table and propagate, It is working but only issue is it is making all the varachar columns as Nvarchar.
sreeramkumart
Participant

Post by sreeramkumart »

We are giving the table name in Read method in Oracle Stage and not defining any columns expecting it will pick all the columns of the table and propagate, It is working but only issue is it is making all the varachar columns as Nvarchar.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I am guessing that you have NLS enabled, and that therefore DataStage is expecting to work with Unicode data and will take every opportunity (such as during runtime column propagation) to do so.

If you don't like it, disable RCP and specify your data types explicitly.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sreeramkumart
Participant

Post by sreeramkumart »

NLS is enabled for my project. How to override the project level settings at job level to make NLS disabled.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Each (well, most) stage type has an NLS tab.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sreeramkumart
Participant

Post by sreeramkumart »

Thanks for your reply Ray, But I am not able to find any values that we can set the NLS disable in the oracle stage, There are lot of other codes available Can anyone let me know which one I have to select to make the NLS Character disabeld.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a pseudo-map called NONE. Might be worth trying that.
edwds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by edwds »

Does the Oracle Bulk Loader stage support NVARCHAR2 and NCHAR without NLS being enabled?